Monday, August 1, 2016

It's a PJ Thing



In the past 10 days, I have been packing, transporting in preparation to move from one house to another. It's grueling, tiring, painful, time consuming, etc etc! Now that everything is in the new place, where do I begin?


I could not have done it without:

Sid
Steven
Derrick
Brantley

Then, on another day

ANNNNIIIIIITTTTTTAAAAA!!!!!!!

Thank you so much, y'all are awesome sauce!!

Also, finding & re-reading quotes I have written down on bits of paper. As a bit of a "quotesmith" vs a "wordsmith", I write quotes down. Quotes that make me laugh, smile, pull out of my head at times when it's needed.

Being part of the military & military association is an integral part of who I am.

HEY!

It did good things for me.

After the commencement speech in 2014 at University of Texas at Austin, I began watching similar videos of Admiral McRaven.  This led to watching combat footage from many Soldiers, Airmen, Marines & Seamen. This led to watching, on You Tube, the whole series of a group of  Pararescue guys as they go through the grueling torture that is the Pararescue Pipeline!

Hello!
My name is Brenda and I'm a You Tube Junkie.

The school is also called "Superman School" and yes, for good reasons!

It's only men of steel who apply, the school turns them very nearly into Superman!

Of course, when I was assigned to Hickam AFB, Hawai'i, I knew nothing of this. Knew nothing of what it takes to even be accepted into the PJ training courses. At 19? I knew nothing at all! I did, however, FEEL the raw male charisma, the deep & strong integrity rolling off of these guys.

I felt it, though, I wasn't sure what it was I felt.

The quote really stirred me. I may or may not get this quote right, yet, here goes.

"The burden of personal responsibility. The burden of personal accountability is every PJs creed of life, for life. Those who shirk this responsibility begin to fail in the worst possible way. They fail themselves as their knowledge surfaces in guilt, insecurity, lowered self confidence. They know who they are, they know what they should be, failing themselves is the most damning shortfall a man can experience."

Okay, take a breath.
Just breathe.

As a girl I wouldn't have qualified for the schooling these guys qualified for. Nor, would I want to. I'm far from a feminazi. Let the guys do a guys job, I will simply sit back & watch in awe of them.
Although, it would have been an honor to try, Norma said it best.

"I don't mind living in a mans' world as long as I can still be a woman in it."

I love being all girl. Watching the PJ school vids didn't tell the whole story, yet, having known of these guys was a breath taking experience for me!

Just to be clear, I never knew them as well as I would have liked. I'm sure they barely thought of me at all.
If any of them did, they probably thought I was just another stupid, drooling idiot. Just another one who admired them, yet, not quite worthy.
That's okay.
What I was?
A somewhat shy girl from a small town, new to the USAF, still trying to figure life out.

But the PJs, they seemed to have it all. Everything I wanted to be. Wanted to be so sure of myself, so sure of my abilities, part of something so much more magnificent than I was at the time.

So close to Superman, yet, so far. 

Until next time, hold a good thought for me.

L8ers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...