Thursday, April 13, 2017

Invisible or visible?

It's becoming more prevalent with time, in my life, anyway. A friend's parent once told me of this. I found it interesting, yet, gave it little thought.

In a society which praises youth, youthfulness, is more forgiving of stupidity in those under 30 years of age, I see it very clearly. 

At times, I feel myself becoming invisible.

Oh, I am far from the stereotype which is foisted upon my peers as well as, in ignorance of the damage they do, the claiming of it by those same peers.

Some people "move through time" while others just become old, aged, obese, popping pills to try to keep afloat. A change of the life habits which makes them ill would be better, yet, big pharma & doctors would become irrelevant if people did that.

Many people of all chronological levels, races, economic persuasions, genders, etc., have stopped listening to me, personally. As if my age makes whatever I have to say, irrelevant. 
I work out, stay current with trends, world events, local events, am 100% healthy. Yet, I notice many people around me have begun to ignore me when I'm speaking. 

It's as if I were invisible or not speaking at all.

Slowly, I am becoming invisible, just as my friend's parent told me about. I notice this same behavior toward any person who is past the age of 40, who is most often single, has no great amassed property, no financial wealth, who is absent any elevated professional status.

I notice this.

It's rather disturbing, rather sad that those in their teens & 20s, with less life experience, less good judgment, more ageist behaviors, are revered. Then, while those over the age of 30 years or 40 years, are ignored, sometimes even ridiculed behind their backs.

Where is society headed?

Wherever it's going, I will go my own way, showing courtesy, respect, honor & paying attention to all.

Age truly is only a number, I'm a fighter who is willing to go my own way, regardless of the status quo.

2 comments:

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...