Tuesday, March 22, 2016

What is your yardstick?


Could be a "what". Could be a "who".
Sorry, no poetry today! Did you just roll your eyes? Oops. LOL!

Some people care what others think of them, some people don't, it's all very personalized. So, personally, I'm about 50/50 on that. Some days I'm 60/40. Sometimes, depending upon what day of the month it is, I don't give a rip. Use your imagination!
As I move on through time, because, I refuse to get older, so, as I move through life I care less & less what kind of impression I make on others. Opinions held by others will always vary greatly dependent upon their age, experiences, as well as how well they know the other person. Also, if they like them, or not.
So, it's all subjective, therefore, it shouldn't ever matter.
Yet, it does matter.
To varying extents.
It does matter.
Criticism can sting, especially if there is some truth to it. Then, again, if the criticism is coming from a loved one, a trusted one who is supposed to know all frailties of the one they are criticizing. They are supposed to have your back, yet, it doesn't always turn out that way. The ones who are trusted & loved can deal the most crushing criticism, the sting is real!
Having learned to eliminate those hyper critical people from my life was a very difficult, very pain filled lesson that I had to learn.
Learning it well has served me in countless healthy ways.
The sting has softened to just a lightly rough touch.
The bad stuff used to be easier to believe, so, in present day? The critical, negative ones, get a mental brush with the bird.
*POOF*
All gone.
Paying attention to the good things, the positive feedback, is much more healthy than ever believing the other kind!
Measuring myself with a positive "yardstick" is helping a lot! 
Do you know where this is going?
Yup! Ha ha!
FITNESS!
I work hard, sweat a lot, bust my bunnies, striving for progress, always, always striving for progress!
Covering my USAF PT shirt with sweat. These shirts are moisture resistant, so, it takes a lot of sweat to soak them. It's very gratifying to be able to work so hard that I can actually wring the shirt out with sweat dripping out of it in a light brief stream. When my heart rate reaches 172 bpm, I know it's time to back off just a little, then a song that is so filled with energy  starts on my Mp3 player. It gives me the need to keep going hard. 181 bpm. Time to back off!
Mm good yardstick!
Today, at my workout, there was a lady I met in 2013 when I first moved to Graham, Texas. She and I spoke briefly, exchanged fitness information. She's a very pleasant person. 
She's a nice one, smart, great sense of humor. The kind of person who is enjoyable to be around. Very positive.
She asked me how often I work out.
"Every day, chica! Every day!"
She told me that she couldn't tell if it was me on the elliptical in front of her, on the treadmill, or not.
Hmm.
My hair is longer, still the same color, different shoes, different workout clothes, still pretty much the same from my pov.
She told me that I looked like I had shrunk. That my legs were more slender & toned, that it looked like I'd been doing my squats. Ha ha! Fitness people, we knooww what that means. :)
She was craning her neck to talk to me so, I walked around to start walking with her on the treadmill next to her, for her comfort.
Just wanted to give her some compliments & motivation, too!
It's good to spread sugar!
I told her that I noticed that her arms were more toned, her face was more slender. It seemed to make her day! SCORE!!!
On the treads, up close, she didn't have to stretch her neck.
She asked me if I had started coming to the gym in 2013 to lose weight after having recently had a baby. I blushed.
I said, "Umm, nope, my 'baby' is 24." She smiled great big.
"Are you serious? I thought you were around 30 or so!"
Blushing again. Is she for real?
"I'm just guessing, maybe around 40?"
Then, I told her.
She, then, started pumping me for my "secrets."
I couldn't tell all of them, have to leave a little mystery!!!
I told her a few things I do to take care of my skin with natural methods such as steaming my face, then massaging honey into it, leaving the honey to set for 30 minutes when I have the time. Usually, I make the time. It feels good, looks fantastic after rinsing it off, massaging coconut oil with lavender into my face.
During the day, I use Neutrogena with sunscreen.
Marilyn Monroe used Neutrogena, it's less expensive, their formula has not changed much. It's a good product!

She and I talked for a bit longer about Texas, about health practises. 
To be truthful?
This morning, I was a bit depressed, a bit sad. I didn't want to leave my bed or my house or go anywhere. Not even the gym.
With effort, I got through it all, got my work done. Only had to deal with one nasty, mean person, so, that's a good thing. This one manager at Walmart. She's a miserable one. Seems like she walks around with a dark cloud over her head all the time.
She's a real bad news fairy. :)
In Texas, most people are polite, even if only on the surface. I'll take it!
The sweet lady had to go, she had finished her workout. This challenging Yoga Booty is giving me very good results. With my cardio over, my tread buddy gone. I went into the exercise room in the back, went through Yoga Booty. Dam! It's challenging! It's getting to be less challenging, still, difficult & painful. 
Love it!
As a reward, the Sans Barre workout. I tried to concentrate yet, I saw 3 high school guys standing at the door, watching me. They were probably thinking I couldn't hear what they were saying to each other about the "hot yoga chick", that I didn't notice them standing there

I heard them.

I saw them

Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...