Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mele of my Heart

Can you feel it? 


This heart, born with me at birth is a sensitive, sweet and caring one. It can also be a strong, fierce heart of a warrior woman, fighter, a lover, a true heart.

Hearts can be very wild, that's why ribs are cages.

Malama na koa!

I'm a lover, not a fighter, I will still fight for what I love. Have to add to this, I will give my time, love, my caring to those who give theirs to me.

Having lived in Hawai'i for a total of 7 years plus going back numerous times after that, the islands live in my heart, even if I can't live in the islands. One very popular person in the islands is Keali'i Reichel. He is undefinable. So many facets to this wonderful man!
He is a professor of Hawai'ian History, A Kumu Hula, A Comedian, A song writer, Entertainer, Performance Artist, Cultural Ambassador plus so much more!
His music touches the souls of so many around the world. His music is, simply, born from his heart to reach out to connect with the others in the world in need of the sweet caresses which wash over like warm trickles of water on a chilly day.

His music is made to be danced to in Hula movements. Sometimes seductively slow with a serious pout on the dancers lips as in E' O' Mai. Sometimes in painstakingly precise floor movement as in Mauna Leo. Sometimes very slow sexy movement with teasing hips, bright, mischievous smiles as in E Ho'i I Ka Pili.

His music is sometimes baby-making music. You know what I mean!

Quite often, it's just sweet to lay back, pick up every nuance of the slack key guitar, the trill of the Ukulele tenor key, the rattle of the Uli Uli, the soft beat of the Ipu heke.

Then......there's his voice! Like no other voice, ever! Not even Izrael Kamakawiwo'ole.
Also known as Bradda Iz. Mostly famous for his song at the opening of a hit T.V. show. Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

Keali'i has such personality. He's a very joyful, fun filled, emotional, hot bodied Hawai'ian. His first language was Hawai'ian during his childhood on Maui.
His music is most often in Hawai'an, sometimes in Hawai'ian with some English. A few songs, such as Fields of Gold are in English with his soulful voice rendering music as only he can. The road that never ends. Beautiful.

Here we are
In this holy place together
Bearing witness 
As the two of you become man and wife
On this day as you join in heart and spirit
You begin another chapter in the book of life

Love
Is a circle that surrounds you
You can find it on the faces of your family and friends
Love
Let it wrap its' arms around you
And guide you on your journey down the road that never ends

There's a song in your heart
You can hear it if you listen
As it whispers through the branches
High above the family tree
And as time
Plays its' melody upon you
You can rest assured in knowing
That you're right where you should be

There's more. You can look him up on You Tube to experience for yourself the beauty of his music. Revel in his humor, his wit, maybe even find yourself swaying, humming along! It's a sweet experience of ohana.


I have danced hula to his music both in public as well as in private. Am not as precise as I would like, however, it feels good to lose myself in the movements.

My favorite Keali'i Reichel song is Mailes Song. Also known as Hawai'ian Lullaby. It features a section by Robert Cazimero: 

I can smile when it's raining
And touch the warmth of the sun
I hear children laughing
In this place that I love


Beautiful! I told my daughter I want her to have this song with her dancing a hula to it at my funeral. Life is part of living. In living we run the risk of dying each day.

If the link below is un-clickable, copy & paste into your address bar. Listen to this song with your eyes closed. With headphones. With eyes opened if you wish. Listen with your ears, feel it trickle into your heart.
Mahalo for letting me share with you.

Aloha!




https://youtu.be/xejiWC4EAls

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...