Monday, June 12, 2017

Challenging the body, restoring the soul

Thinking in 4 different languages comes naturally to me. So does thinking in poetic terms, sometimes rhyming, sometimes simply flowing.
Today, you'll just get the straight stuff. :)

Recently, I took a solo road trip to start the trip to Provo, Utah from Graham, Texas. It was challenging, a bit daunting, was unsure as to whether I could actually do it......or the other. *smile*
When I first started out, I felt like turning around to go home. It was just THAT overwhelming. This beautiful quote from Mr. Hemmingway came to mind!




......and so, I FLEW! Adhering to the speed limit, of course! ;)

Cruise control is a marvelous invention.

With the recent episode of debilitating pain in my back & right arm (the one I drive a car with!) I was unsure how it would go.
Knowing that this was a trip I wanted to take, needed to take, still, a bit unsure, I started the drive of nearly 1,000 miles! The solo driver, straight through, only stopping to fill the gas tank!

Arriving in Provo was a head rush, a bit confusing, tired & happy!
It was also very empowering to make the drive alone, proving to myself that I could do this! Wonder Woman skills!

Now, the long solo road trip is something many people do every day, yet, it was far from the usual for me. 
Living in a small town, the excess road traffic was overwhelming at times. Also, the last solo road trip for me was Colorado Springs, CO to Panama City, FLA more than a decade ago.

It's been a minute.

All of my fears, the safety factor, the niggling little doubts as I had never taken the car I have, now, on such a long journey.

I received the gift of some gas money from my dear friend, Janice. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Enough of the challenging the body talk!

Now, to get to the restoration of the soul!

As I very rarely see family members in person, the time spent with them is most often by phone or face time.
It falls slightly short in the pleasure factor of face to face, hugs, sharing a sofa or a meal. 
The small things that bring us close.

Seeing my youngest daughter in person, hugging her, kissing her face, hearing her incredible wit, seeing where she lives, it's pure pleasure for me.
A pleasure I dearly miss. 
It truly adds a soothing balm to my soul like nothing else can!

Then, there was the party before her wedding.

Seeing my eldest daughter, hugging her, seeing her beautiful smile, it made me forget that she fails in planning or communication with me. It all melted away. It was replaced with love, with the sheer joy of holding her close, again.

Neighbors from when I lived in Colorado were at the party, as were many people who were my little bride-to-be's friends, co-workers, family of her handsome Prince. 
It was such a happy time!

Then there was Nancy & Gus, life long friends who are more like family to me than most of my family! The love, fond memories, the connection that radiated from their heart to mine was truly a restoration of the healing & uplifting sort.
Those 2, lol. 
That sums it up!

There was the party before my darling girl's wedding, the wedding itself in Provo, then......the long drive up to Mountain Home, Idaho, with Nancy & Gus. The time flew by as we talked, connected, shared our joys as well as the trials we had endured since the last time we spent time in person.

There was also an unexpected surprise! When my daughter mentioned the name of one of the sweet ladies working to put DD's wedding reception together in Idaho. It felt, in my intuition, that she was someone I had known when I was a 20 year old active duty USAF member, at Hickam AFB, Hawai'i.
I was quite sure I knew her.
Sure enough, it was HER!
The surprise, the wonder, the connection was still there! When 2 people truly connect, the connection remains over time, space, life events, even over disagreements. 
The connection stays in the hearts of 2 friends.

As we were driving straight through from Mountain Home, Idaho to Texas, only stopping for gas & potty breaks (combining the 2), the long drive ahead was daunting. Yet, it would be with the company of my dear dear friends, Nancy & Gus, their son and a sweet teen girl who made the drive so much fun!
She was surprised at my music knowledge & that I like the music of NOW! Current music that she, also, likes!
Hmm, either that puts me on the same level as an 8th grader or it makes me cool, awesome & current with the times!

I'll take cool, awesome & living in the present moment!

It was fun to share music & listen to her!

Switching off between Nancy riding shotgun with me, then this wondrously mature girl, made the long drive a pure joy!
Yeah, my arms became tired, yes, my back felt a bit stiff at times, yet, it was worth it & I would still do it again!

The trade off of happiness, connection, love, family time & a welcome change of life pace was so very worth the long drive(s). Being, in person, with people I love, who I know very well, share history with, who know me yet, still, love me unconditionally with all of my quirks, flaws, etc.

Do one thing each day that scares you, challenges you or both!

The pay off is so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...