Monday, March 13, 2017

Fall from grace, back to simplicity.

Were you born into wealth or even a family who lived somewhat above middle class? A life where finances flowed easily & all needs were met by every member of the family?
Abundance & all the material possessions the family desired?
This affluence does, sometimes, lead to a materialistic view of the world.
Do you find yourself wanting more stuff, more stuff?

This was a rhetorical query, if you please.

Myself?

Good question, I'm not really sure.

What I do know is this.

There is a process involving experiences, both those that happen due to our decisions as well as random occurrences, which shape us into who we are. 

Our decisions?

To light up that first cancer stick
To choose a major in college
To exceed the speed limit & receive a reprimand or fine
To remain faithful to a spouse....or not
To marry or stay unmarried

Randomness?

Crippling car accident
Lightning strike
Unprotected sex with a partner with an unknown disease
Debilitating random disease in spite of lifelong healthy practices
Attack of a physical nature leaving one with injuries


By now, you most likely have a good idea of what is being expressed, here.

When I married & started that life, I had very simple taste. Loved to keep the home free of clutter, free of excess wall coverings etc. 

Perchance, I happened to meet a very interesting woman, then, we began a friendship that spanned a lengthy amount of time.
I was the Needlework Instructor, she was the Decorative Painting Instructor.

And, so, it began.

We traded my beautiful creations in needlework for her beautiful hand painted creations. She invited me over to her home for lunch, I was astounded at how her home was so filled with so many beautiful hand painted touches! She fascinated me, captivated my interest, she also had a bit of an acidic temper, which, ultimately brought our friendship to a close several years later.

Being a tad intimidated by her as well as skittish about inviting her to my home, I decided, I would be like Nike & just do it!
I invited both she and her husband over for dinner. I decided to make a simple dinner of spaghetti & meatballs, green salad, French bread with peach cobbler for dessert.

It was a delightful evening, our SO's got along, she was enchanted by my daughter who was only 1 year old AND potty trained!

After we had visited each other back & forth as well as traded hand made gifts, her singular comment set me in motion to become more materialistic.
She was not the cause, I acted on my own volition.
She said:

"Going from my house to yours, your house looks so barren!"

Oh, boy!

I was throwed off at that moment!

In the beginning, I started hanging more items on my walls. I began creating items to hang on the walls as well as custom framing family photos. 
This, one, simple statement of hers set me into an upward spiral of becoming more materialistic with time. I bought into the Victorian decorating fad at the time, I collected and cluttered and made almost everything in the fashionable "Mauve."

Before long, I was picking up what she was laying down! Ha ha!

I had become more materialistic.

Over time, I collected and collected and collected until my home actually looked similar to hers! 
Tastefully cluttered. 

FFWD to present day.

When I was searching for solace in the pain of a shattered heart, in 2009, the Yoga classes at The PAFB Fitness Center appealed to me.
It's my humble belief that my Yoga practice has brought me back to my simplistic nature. 

When I left Colorado in 2012, I rid myself of 1/2 of my possessions. I was going full circle in embracing simplicity. In the past few years, I have been ridding myself of even more of the clutter which weighed me down, not just physically, but emotionally, spiritually.
Losing excess body weight has coincided with that.

At the Masonic Auction in Graham, on Saturday, I stood there.Trembling.
As I watched, yet more, pieces of my life auctioned off.

I chose to let go of more items.

It was healthy for me.

It was cleansing.

It was so comforting to spend the rest of the day in Ft worth with my bff in Texas, she's simply the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...