Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Tribute to Gary R. Stonerock


2 words can trigger a reaction in the hearts/minds of so many!
Death & Taxes.
Today will be about the first.

Today, I was told by a lifelong friend that her father had passed on.

Having seen him only during a time of good health, strength, as a passenger with him piloting his personal aircraft, it's hard for me to imagine him as weak, frail, near death.

My friend, Cheryl, has been a dear friend since 10th grade!!! 
We spent a lot of time together as 2 giggly girls, keeping her parents awake when we had sleepovers. Later on, we saw each other from time to time. She wanted me as her bridesmaid, 8 months with child at her wedding! That's a true friend!
Her mother knew how close we were so my air fare was paid round trip Honolulu to Detroit! 
Definitely a true friend. 

When I heard the news from her that her father had passed on, OMGoodness! The tears started!
My tears will flow, unchecked for a few days. 
I feel so sad.

I remembered when he flew myself, his lovely wife, his daughter, (best friend from HS) up to Mackinac Island. Much to his wife's disgust, he insisted on flying low to buzz his friends house! His wife remarked that their daughter needed to live for her wedding in a few days and that I was 8 months with child!
That didn't stop him!

He loved flying!!!

I remember him being so enthralled with my darling Heather, at 18 months. He loved babies, little children. He was fascinated with how sweet & smart my darling, Heather, was!!! (Still is!)

He was quite a character. 

He also had a softer side. I remember him choking back tears as he walked his daughter up the aisle to be married. A few tears slipped down his cheeks. It was very touching. It was a hot August day in Michigan, he claimed, later, that it was sweat rolling off his head, I knew how much he loved his daughter!!! 
He didn't fool me!

Now, this wonderful man has been called home. His wife, such a wondrous woman, was there at his side. His 3 grown children came together to be with him in his final days. So much love for him!
His wife looks just as beautiful, in pictures, as I remember her! 
Always a sweet, while firm mother, to my dear friend.

Although I have only talked to them on the phone, in recent years, I will miss him. 

A light has gone beyond this world.






2 comments:

  1. I just found this blog. It is a very nice tribute to a remarkable man. I worked for Gary and coverted the photos that he and Mike took into maps (still do). I don't stay in touch very often but remember them all fondly. Cheryl looks so much like her mother...You're tribute broght a lot of good memories back to the surface for me today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, for your kind words. So happy that I could bring good memories back for you!

      Delete

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...