Saturday, May 7, 2016

High Value?
or
High Maintenance?

                 Having heard this phrase, high maintenance, tossed around a bit, it caught my attention, caused a few moments of pondering. When I heard the phrase the next time, it felt as if it caught my attention because it wanted me to look into it, to explore a bit to study the meaning. Burning curiosity has been a part of who I am ever since I could consciously remember at around 10 months of age. Yes, I remember back to that early age. Impressed?
Nah!
A natural attribute that many people are born with, or without.

The dictionary definition states this:

High Maintenance; Requiring a lot of work or attention to maintain. An individual who is overly needy, sometimes prone to drama to gain constant attention.

Often, I have heard of this term specifically applied to females, yet, there are many males who it can apply to, as well. I have met several. Needy guys who would get a bit rattled if I didn't answer the phone every time they called.

High maintenance even sounds a bit derogatory, seems to be used a bit too liberally. As in, just because people pronounce another person as high maintenance, only means that it's the thought of that person.
A person who takes care of themselves, mind, body soul, only dependent upon their own resources to do so, is not necessarily "high maintenance."  Taking 1 - 2 hours to get ready to go anywhere is a bit excessive especially if it keeps others waiting or causes others to be late to an event while waiting for the other to get ready. That can even be deemed as selfish & rude.
 A person with a practice of courtesy toward others while still taking care of their own needs might be pronounced as high maintenance. Honestly? I don't think it applies.

Girls who go out in public feeling put together even if they are just going to the gym, have healthy self value, healthy self esteem. Girls who just go anywhere not paying attention to whether their hair is a mess, their clothes are wrinkled, stained. Clothes that are torn, missing buttons or not exactly clean, project an image of undesirability, not only undesirable to guys but also to other girls.

By the same token, guys who take a bit of pride in their appearance project a confidence that is very alluring. They are confident, attractive, secure, have a belief in themselves, it really shows. Yet, could they be called high maintenance?
Nope.

People who take care of themselves are happier, healthier in many ways. I know this as I take care of myself. When I am physically ill (not often) or feeling down about some of life's inevitable setbacks, I don't feel like working out. Sometimes I don't feel like even showering. I know that the way out of feeling low is to still take care of myself, mind, body, spirit. Like a thunder & lightening storm, it's best to keep going until the storm has passed. As difficult as it is. Keep going.

As I've said in other posts, a person must love themselves.

This means to take care of yourself, yet, be courteous to the time of others as well as the time of events.

Be kind to others, love yourself while doing so.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...