Friday, April 6, 2018

A Flower is Born

Many people love to grow & keep orchids, which are notoriously difficult to keep alive. Violas are easier along with tulips, hyacinths, the trendy "bamboo" plants seen everywhere. FYI ~ Peeps, those are no more bamboo than I am a pop star!
The plants cleverly marketed as "lucky bamboo" are actually part of the family that corn belongs to. It's working!

Generally, I will only grow anything if I can eat it or if it has flowers with intoxicating scent.

It's still a mystery as to whom sent the 2 gardenia plants, yet, if they don't know me very well, it was a dang lucky guess!

Gardenias are my favorite plant. They can be a bit difficult to even keep alive as an indoor plant much less have it bloom.
Years ago, I had a gardenia plant I kept alive & flowering for 11 years. I did my research, asked a lot of questions. Intel is power!

Are you impressed?

Nah.

Well.

Okay.

The 2 gardenia plants delivered to me on Valentines Day were quite sickly when delivered. Very few leaves, their buds had dropped off. It was such a bittersweet occasion.
Two beautiful gardenias, equally sick in a sad way.
Through diligence, patience, intel gathering, I'm happy to announce that one out of the 5 gardenia plants (I rescued 3 from Walmart!) has bloomed.
Creamy white waxy petals which spiral out from the center.
The best part?
The scent of a freshly bloomed gardenia flower is the closest to being high without actually being high.

Gardenias are legal in every state!

The day before was a tight green bud with promise
Yesterday was green with small stripes of white
I knew that flower bloom was upon us
Opening slowly throughout the warm night

Waking later than planned to the lovely scent
The creamy whiteness a sight to see
The gift for being so caringly diligent
Gardenias reward as her gift to me.

*******************************************



No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...