Monday, February 27, 2017

Are You a Giver?

It kinda sux to be a giver. 
When one is born that way, it's difficult to change, however, maybe, it can be modified?

Often, it's been talked around that the person who cares less in a relationship (any relationship between 2 people) has the most power.
Do you believe that?
Often it has also been spoken of that the person who leaves a get together, a phone conversation or even an argument, the one who leaves first, has the most power.
Umm, what?
This sounds somewhat manipulative, yet, one person must leave eventually even if it's only for a few moments. It's inevitable!

In prior times in my life, I was the one left standing. The other person in a relationship, a luncheon or a phone conversation would be the one to leave. It seemed polite to me, just good manners, just simple kindness, to wait until the other person made an exit. They would tell me they simply had to "get going". 
It stabbed at my feels.
It even felt painful at times.
Admittedly, I used to have some very serious abandonment issues left over from childhood. THANKS MOM & DAD!  :P

Used to have is the operative phrase.

Since being on my own for so long, now, the abandonment issues have calmed down significantly.

Since realizing that every person must decide when it's time to exit, for their time constraints, their comfort level. 

It's a learned skill for a giving person, such as myself.

At first, I exited awkwardly, feeling guilty, feeling that I was being unkind to the other person. A situation where I got mine while denying them, theirs.
Hmm.
Toughening myself, I learned to exit with more grace, less guilt, the abandonment issues even became somewhat reversed with time.

I'm still a giver. My natural state of being is to give, to love, to nurture, to show compassion, to show concern for others. 
Quelling this natural state took practice, as it, now, takes focus. Learning to turn a bit of that giving inward, to give the loving care to myself just as I would give it to others.

The results are the beauty I'm creating in a new home I'm moving into. The serenity & self love feels good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...