Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Observing the "Silver Lining"

Learning to think, talk, as well as act in the positive, is, believe it or not, a learned skill. In my personal experience, it's also a skill which takes cognitive skill to maintain.

I call this, in simple terms, being positive!

As children, it seems, even as children are learning to speak & socialize, it's done in the negative.

Examples? 

You want examples?

Well, do ya'?

*smile*

Children are often told:

Don't touch that!
Don't be late!
If you do that, you're grounded!
Don't hit your (brother or sister)!

What if it was changed to:

Just look at it.
Be on time!
I would like it if you did something else.
Be nice to your (sister or brother)!

Phrasing in the positive takes being aware, always, of speech patterns, phrasing structure, etc. In a world where most statements are phrased in the negative, it's easy to fall back on negative thinking, negative speaking, negative actions.

Going a step further, I have had to train my mind to find the "silver lining" or the positive in many situations as I go about my day. If I find a coin on the ground, it's a positive. A friend of mine calls this "Pennies from heaven" although, it has also been nickels, dimes, quarters as well as an occasional $10. , $5. , or $1.00.
I say a quick thank you, then pick the money up. I keep a small jar with a lid in my car to put the "found money" in. 
At the end of the year, I cash it in at my bank, it has often added up to $300. - $500.

These little positives are so sweet!

Although I am less naive than I used to be, I will admit that I can still be a little bit, so.

I moved from one house to another last August. Honestly, I was unaware that I had 30 days to change the address on my Texas drivers license!

A police officer made a traffic stop on me for some really weak, nit picky reasons, yet, he pointed out to me that I had to change my address on my DL.

As an aside, having worked in Law Enforcement, I know that since LE personnel know the laws better than Joe Q. Public, they can find any reason at any time to make a traffic stop on anyone, no matter how well a person is driving, striving to obey traffic laws.
I think the cop was just looking for something to occupy himself on a quiet night. I was the lucky occupier of his time.

The very next day, law abiding citizen such as I am, I went to the local DMV to change the address on my DL.
Surrendering my current DL for lawful mutilation, the person working there, pointed out that, in my DL photo which was taken on Jan 12 as compared to my DL photo taken May 2, 2014, there was a very noticeable difference. 
She said I actually looked younger as well as my face being much slimmer than before.

I work out almost every day, am very careful in my eating, sleeping, drinking habits. People comment on my progress, yet, I don't see what they see. This comparison in photos shows, very clearly, the progress I'm making in my "fitness quest".!!!

Being a traffic stop subject is most unpleasant, yet, the silver lining is that, I could see my progress, right there in my DL photo!

Striving to see the good in a situation, when possible makes a difference in my day to day life.

Positive thoughts create a positive attitude which creates positive actions which attracts positive life experiences which helps to contribute to more positive thinking.

It's a happy - happy circle!

I wish you, sweet readers, a positive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...