Friday, July 12, 2019

Sub par treatment of a substitute teacher


                                                     



When I was working in the school system, it was challenging as well as enjoyable. The students were mostly respectful, smart, funny! The other teachers were nice. I never went to PEP rally's when I was in JrH or HS. It was all new to me, when I went to the PEP rally's in the schools.
The challenging part was that the male students in the High School as well as sometimes the Junior High were bold, at times. I am not, was not, that type of girl. I can understand how some female teachers get inappropriately involved with a male student. The attention is nice. It's flattering mixed with a bit of innocence. It's totally wrong in so many ways. Nothing I would ever do.
I had to stay alert, nip it when I could see it happening. I, also, had to keep my phone where the students couldn't get it. They sometimes got ahold of my phone, texted to themselves, to have my number or took selfies with my phone, sent it to themselves. 
If it had not been so against the rules, it would have been more cute & funny.
I wanted to continue as a substitute teacher.
Unfortunately, that didn't happen. There was no conversation, there was no asking me what happened.
One day, I stopped getting jobs.
This is why the schools are hurting so badly for substitute teachers in this town. There was a very brief orientation, that was it.There's no training, they just send ya out there. Then, if some gossip reaches the person in charge of hiring & firing, about the sub, that's it! Unprofessional ghosting.
It IS HS & JrH, so, apparently the mentality extends to the people who are supposed to be running the schools. It's akin to playground bullying, "I don't like you, I have the strength to force you out, so, I'm going to force you out." The exact opposite of the mature, adult way. Sit down, have a conversation. Can't have that, can we?

The area I live in has many small towns. There is only a finite number of people who will work as a sub teacher. When the schools treat so many people badly, they run out of people. Then, they cry out that they need substitute teachers.
What the powers that be, REALLY need is a course in manners & professional courtesy. 
As the school year begins again, the cry for substitute teachers resumes. Small town, small minds. 
Someday, it may change.
One may hope!

Yup. It's that time of year......again.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...