Tuesday, June 9, 2015

For my maternal Grandfather, Sherman Leroy Kendall


 Oh Grandfather where are you
Your words are alive in me
You taught me from when I was two
Your truths survive in me
Grandfather in my times of joy
Memories of you come back
Time passes and can't destroy
Lessons of the woodshack
Many hours we whittled and spoke
Of love and time and living
Told me not to drink or smoke
So inspiring and so giving
Oh Grandfather where are you
So many years since your depart
I miss you, oh, how I miss you
You live within my heart

**********************************************************

Tonight there was a monthly event, in town,  that I usually enjoy. Could not even make myself go. The theme, since June is the month of Fathers Day, is "Men Who Shaped My Life."
I can't handle it.

My maternal Grandpa is only one of the 2 men in my life who left no room for doubt that he loved me, very much. His influence on the entire family is still felt, today. Felt by me, intensely. I rarely cry, used to, not much at all,now. Seems I am all cried out. If I took a photo & a story of my Grandpa to this event, I would cry. The worst kind of tears. Crying in public. UGH. Can't handle it. Staying home tonight is best.

My Grandpa Kendall was the most wonderful man I have ever known. Wonderful for so many reasons, in so many ways. He is that type of man that so many women wish they had in their life. He was tough when needed, tender hearted, always. Intelligent, he believed in lifelong learning. He adored his wife, was a devoted father to his 5 children who loved him openly, unconditionally. He was a giving, sharing, hard working joyful man.
He was a wonderful, sometimes stern, playful Grandfather

I have the day off, tomorrow, so, going to stay up late, tonight.

Maybe I'll find a good movie to watch, maybe just think of my Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...