Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Human Kindness, Tender Mercies


A bad day, we have all had them.
A good day, we have all had them.
An interesting day, oh yeah!
Maybe even a combo of all 3?

I spent the first half of the day, today, with a fellow Military Veteran, USMC, female type.
She's a lot of fun! Always surprises me. We traveled to the VA clinic in Ft Worth for a minor procedure. Good conversation on the way there, good ice cream on the way back, her treat!

While she was having her procedure done, I walked around, talked to some people. I also scraped some change together out of her personal stash. :)
It was dimes nickels, pennies. 
It added up to $8.
I went in to one of the shops in the VA clinic to ask if there was a place where I could exchange the coins for paper money. The clerk said, 
"Come right over here, ma'am." 
He took all of the change after I counted it out & gave me the paper money. I expressed my gratitude & went on to look in other shops. 

There was another shop which sold military paraphernalia from all branches of the military. Looking over the displays I saw something I thought my USMC Vet friend would like! It was, what is known as, a "P-51". 
Essentially a USMC can opener that is twice the size of a USAF "P-38". A smaller very basic can opener that is light & is easily carried on a key ring. THAT was exactly what I wanted for her!

I asked the man at the cash register for the price. He asked me if I knew what it was.
I smiled, "Yes, sir, I certainly do!" I smiled and held my key ring up to show him the P-38 which I have always carried on my key ring. 
I told him that I was a USAF Veteran, that I was there with my USMC Veteran friend and that she would LOVE the P-51!
He smiled and said, "No charge, it's yours."
My friend had finished with her appointment and walked in the door! 
I gave her, her $8. and the P-51.

My mind was whirling, thinking of all of the USMC people I knew who had served or were currently serving. It's a small gift, yet, to a lot of people, it means so much. 

I turned to the man at the cash register to ask, "How much do you sell these for?"
He said, "Just take another one, no charge."
I was really touched by this!
He could have sold them to me, made a few bucks. His smile told me that it meant more to him to share with fellow veterans than a few bucks.

His kindness made my vet friend smile. 

It also touched my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...