Saturday, June 18, 2016

Drastically Good Changes


Can you feel it? I can feel it.
Change is in the air, I can almost taste it. BIG changes are long overdue.
Maybe it's the wanderlust that entered my bloodstream while serving in the USAF. Then, as a military wife, the excitement of embracing each residential move from country to country. It was scary, rather unsettling at first.
Then ~~
Beginning to embrace change was the start. I remember exactly when the shift occurred for me. It was one month before my fourth child was born. Usually most women are doing the "nesting thing" at that time when expecting a child to be born.
To be succinct?
Being far, far from the usual is part of my personality.
It's just how I'm wired. Throwing curve balls when unexpected. :)

So, here I was, 8 months with child. He's ex-huzz, now, but, huzz came home all excited about moving to Turkey or Italy or Germany! He paused, waiting for my reaction. I smiled great big!
"Ummmmm, go to Italy! But, if Germany comes up first, grab it! When do we need to leave?"
Another pause, but it was him, this time.
Him ~ "In 6 months?"
Pause
I smiled. "The babys picture on the passport will be so cute!"
He busted up laughing!

We got a month of delay, the baby was 6 months old when we left.

So, with 4 children, under 9 years old, we moved to Germany. Ramstein Air Base area in Kaiserslautern, Deutschland.

It was a huge step.
Having lived in the same small town in Michigan from 4 yrs - 18, I still had the same small town mindset. I was scared, yet, in changing my mindset from fear to excitement of new adventures, it was exciting!
My language skills were going to be put to good use!
Living in the village of Rodenbach, we were the only Americans there, at the time, so, I started speaking German or Deutsche everywhere I went.
From honing my language skills, I got to know my neighbor, Anne Marie, who had been married for 56 years before her husband had passed on just 6 months before. She was a sweet, sweet lady!
It required a mindshift, yet it was also very intellectually challenging, stimulating. At times, the cultural differences were funny. Another time for that one. Ha Ha!!!

After moving residence 2 times in country, the end of our time in Germany was coming up. The USAF offered a free trip home to the huzz - home of record which was Hawai'i. We had to agree to accept another assignment outside the USA. Hellz yeah!
Howard AFB in the Republic of Panama was our next destination. With 4 residential moves in country, it was still kinda fun. It was still a bit challenging, still just as exciting, yet, the kiddos were starting to complain. They needed more stability than moving every few months, years, etc.

So, with 18 residential moves in 22 years, yeah, I got the wanderlust in my blood. Picking up and moving seemed normal. Many people like living in Colorado. I hated it. Everything about it. Had some of the worst experiences of my life living there.

When it seemed like a good idea to move to Texas, I took it. Many people were surprised. My health was not good, yet, that was a temporary situation. I wanted OUT of horrible Coldorado and all of the bad memories it held for me. It was a relief to get out of there!

Now that my health is perfect, I have been in this small town for 3 years. I'm getting the urge to move again.
Part of me wants to pitch everything I own, get in my car and leave! Of course, I would tell my Landlord well in advance. He and his wife have been very good to me, I would do right by them.

I thought, what if I pitch everything except for what I really want and take off in my car? Life would be so much more simple. Home is what is carried in the heart. Being a non-materialistic person, I think I could do this!
Of course, it would take planning. Better to plan than wish you had.

I'm giving this some serious thought.

WANDERLUST!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...