Sunday, May 10, 2015

Strong & Fluid



Darcy Moffat leads this class.

Pilates, Strong & Fluid.

It lives up to the title!

It starts out like most Pilates classes, alignment, balance, the 100s. Reminding the other people to breathe. YES! The focus can be so intense that it's common for people to forget to breathe.

Some practice leaders are a bit dry, down to business. Many have a playful sense of humor. Hmm. Playful and humor are awesome!

Some things that Darcy says that are so funny during this class:

"Remember, belly button is not on vacation just because you're using your side leg."

"Now, you're getting your betty bodder."

"Am I up?"

"Are ya' yelling at me to get into plank & work with you, yet?"

The class is quite intense. Darcy offers 3 position options, for those at different levels. One of the many exercises is to get into bridge position, then, raise the left leg, point the toe & rotate the foot inward, then move the leg as if drawing a little circle on the ceiling, 16 reps, then reverse direction, 16 reps. Repeat with right leg.

Another is to get into plank, rotate into side plank, come back to plank, bring left foot forward next to left hand, bring right foot forward to tap back of left leg, then repeat on the opposite side with opposite arms & legs. 6 reps each side.

There's a lot more, you get the idea.

The end of the practice is back, into child's pose for 1 minute, then to hold plank for 45 seconds.

I cheat.

I stretch my back in child's pose, then go into plank while the class is still in child's pose, holding plank for 170 seconds, sometimes, 180.

Love this practice, it keep me strong, flexible, after it's over, I go into forward fold with the palms of my hands flat on the floor in front, holding it for 3 minutes, shimmying my abs & hips to reach as far as possible.

I hope to eventually get the flexibility level to bend over in front, knees straight with elbows resting on the floor.

That's me.

Namaste






No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...