Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Coconut Hearted Girl in an All Haole World

The title of this blog entry is inspired by the lyrics to a song by a popular, even beloved entertainer in Hawai'i who I love to listen to!
Brother Noland.
It's a catchy tune with what is referred to in the islands as Jawai'ian.
Figga out, brah! Liddat!

https://youtu.be/bsRTsdS6AnE

Have you ever fantasized, studied, longed for something along with the feeling that it had low probability of coming true?

Have you ever had this fixation come true?

It's very fortunate that many of mine have actually happened for me!

As a child, my Grandfather and I would study the life of Queen Victoria of Great Britain, together. When the current National Geographic magazine in his subscription would arrive, he would peruse the magazine with longing. When there were articles  in it that he knew would thrill me, he would get his magazine out when I came to his home for a visit.

This was something enjoyable in these visits as ice cream usually came with it! I was a little girl. I mean, I really was physically small as compared to my peers. I was skinny, petite, full of energy, curiosity, imagination, along with a strong love for my grandpa!!!!

He would lift me onto his lap as he sat in his large chair, then point the fascinating photos out to me. The Victoria & Albert Museum in London, England. The beautiful tropical beaches of Hawai'i.

The only sadness in these visits was when Grandpa would say, "You might, someday, go there. I won't be able to, yet you could!"
I would look at his eyes, as tears were welling up in them, being unable to imagine my life without this wonderful man who taught so much to me.
His words were engraved on my psyche as well as my heart.

Many dreams were fueled by his teachings, so much wisdom.

I went on to do both! Hawai'i as well as the V & A in London. It felt bittersweet as these dreams of his lived on inside me. I felt his presence when I arrived in Hawai'i for my first military assignment.

Upon arriving in Honolulu, instantly, there was a feeling of being home. The people, the music, the weather, island foods. I felt more at home in Hawai'i than I had ever felt up to that point in my life!

Hanging out with locals, I picked up the dialect of the islands ~ Pidgin English! I learned to surf, learned to do macramé.
Most people know what macramé is, yet do they know Pidgin?
It's a whole different dialect, I love it!!!!

https://youtu.be/1StxXlMvA58
(free sample!)

Being fully aware that my blonde hair & green eyes might stereo type me, once I started talking in Pidgin? I was accepted!
Token haole! ha ha!

When the time came to leave Hawa'i to go on to my next assignment, I was a sad girl. At the new assignment I experienced culture shock, so depressed, missed Hawai'i so much.

Time moved me on, wait, NO! Uncle Sam did that!

Still, I carried the Aloha spirit in my heart.

Several years later, while living in Germany, I had the great opportunity to go to London, England for 4 days.

Mm Hm

Can you tell where this is going?

Keep tracking!

The Victoria & Albert Museum was easy enough to find.
I was in Heaven!
I spent the entire day, there! Grandpa would have loved it! One surprise was the connection between Queen Victoria with Hawai'ian Princess Lydia Kamaka'eha (Later, she became Queen Lili'uokalani). 
(You may be familiar with the song Queen Lili'uokalani wrote ~ Aloha Oe)
Queen Victoria invited the Hawai'ian Ali'i to her jubilee. King Kalakaua traveled to England with his wife and sister. He sent them to the Jubilee to represent Hawai'i.
At the ceremonies, Queen Victoria gave a bracelet which she had designed as well as specially made, to Lydia. The bracelet was the very distinctly crafted to Queen Victoria's specifications.

The style of that bracelet is still a very loved & popular form of jewelry known as Hawai'ian Heirloom Jewelry.
The design has flowers and symbols of Hawai'i sculpted in gold or silver with a personal name or sentiment pressed into it in the English script, then inlaid with black onyx.
An enduring symbol to unite England with Hawai'i.

This jewelry impressed Lydia so much that, when she and her party returned to Hawai'i, the style was reproduced several times. It was an honor bestowed on those who the Ali'i  wished to reward or express affection for. A great honor, indeed.

Seems a bit implausible, yet, it happened.

What are the odds?

The 2 things my Grandfather spoke of to me. 

Funny, funny ~ serendipity!

To this day, I always feel the pull from the islands, they call to me 
to return to them.
I go back for a visit, every few years, or when I can!

There's so much love in the islands, such sweet people. On my last trip to Hawai'i, with my friend, Anita, I JUST HAD to go to Bishop Museum!

While we were there, we engaged with a very interesting conversation with a very friendly guy, by the name of John, who works at Bishop Museum. He could tell that I just loved Hawai'i so much I had to keep coming back.

There was a light embrace from him as he said, 
"Welcome home!" several times.

Yes, indeed!.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...