Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Question


Today started like most days start for me. Wake up, morning prayers, take vitamins, put on gym clothes, head to the gym. It was Sunday, so, the usual is to be back home by 10 am, get showered then dress in street clothes. Today, street clothes consisted of dark blue jeans, a camel colored short sleeved sweater with a black camisole under it since the neckline dips a bit too low.

Church dress is very casual at Oak Street Baptist where I have been going for the past 3 years. They have a nice singles program. It's tough to fit in with a bunch of married people when I don't fit the cookie cutter mold of what most of the women over age 18, fit into. I don't fit into any mold at all. Never have & most likely, never will. This can sometimes help, more often, it can be off-putting.

This particular Sunday, no one showed up. I was told it wasn't planned that way. It simply happened that way. It's okay. I can roll with it. Sunday is the day of my cheat meal! The one, premeditated day on which I will have whatever I want, which is PIZZA! After Sunday School, whoever is up for it, we go out for lunch. Usually, it's the Pizza Hut buffet. I look forward to seeing everyone, socializing. It sounds a bit dull, maybe, with this group, it's always a fun time! Lively conversation, good company, good pizza. Yes!

I decided that I woul take some fitness magazines & go to Pizza Hut solo. Why not?

I could do this.

Pulling into the parking space, I saw someone who is usually there with his own group. He was just leaving. He started walking toward me. I thought he was walking toward someone else or mistook me for someone else. Nope. He's a good looking guy, I see him at the gym, sometimes. He asked me if I was coming to eat by myself & where was my husband?
I told him, "I haven't had one of those for 10 years." He looked at me, I knew. The question was about to come up. "I don't know how you can possibly be single!"
He said, "I know why I'm single, you're too sweet & too pretty to be single!"
I thanked him for the compliment, went in to enjoy my cheat meal. Pizza & salad bar! Of course, I was the only one sitting by myself. I was enjoying my magazines, savoring the pizza, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, watching the families with their little ones. It was enjoyment enough for me!
As I sat there, I noticed a large group of people with, what looked like a few college age guys. I recognized one who had been a senior at the High School when I was working as a substitute teacher.
He smiled, as he recognized me, too. I went on, reading my fitness mags, enjoying my pizza. He walked over to the booth, asked if I ever did sub teaching in the nearby schools. I told him, yes, I had. He sat across from me, told me that the other HS guys were so surprised that I was single. Oh well. :)
It was flattering, yet, a bit redundant.

After having had enough pizza, salad & magazine time, it was time to pay the bill & leave. Going up to the cash register, the server was there, as acting cashier. He. Asked me, what the group I was with, usually, was all about. I told him that we are all single, we go to church together & hang out together, sometimes, do fun things together. He looked at me, grinning, l could feel the question he was about to ask.
"You, too? Why are you single?"
I smiled, " I don't know. I have been single for 10 years."
He smiled, "You're way too sweet, way too pretty to be single!"
It was a sincere compliment. I paid my bill, then left.

Honestly, it's something that people ask me a lot, which it's rare for me to think about. When people ask, as they often do, it's hard to think of how to answer.

"My boyfriend hasn't been born, yet!"
"Ah, yes, it's hard to date when you're a superhero!"
"I'm single because I'm not married."

IDK

If you are single, why are you single?
*smile*


No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...