Saturday, February 27, 2016

When it hits close to the heart


My favorite cousin, Matthew, is a wonderful man. His brother, Paul, just as wonderful. Not perfect, still, wonderful men.

Paul served in the US Air Force, Matthew served in the US Navy, but it wasn't held against him. *smile*.

Two men who learned early on to stick to their convictions, go after whatever it is that they want, never settle. They learned this from a truly great man, their father.

My Uncle Leonard (Matthew & Paul's father) was married to my mothers sister, Patricia, for 61 years. Divorce is very uncommon in my family. There are far more lifelong happy marriages than there are in most families. Uncle Leonard embodied a role model for any man who wants to live happily married. Aunt Patricia was the love of his life. He was very open about telling the world how much he adored her. He was a devoted husband, father and so much more. 

I just learned of his passing on February 22. 
It hit me hard. 
Oh I'm pretty sure he wasn't extremely fond of me, he always told me I was a rebel & a scoundrel. I was, pretty much as he described me. Still am. I still loved, admired, respected him. 

The conversation we had on the way to the DMV to take my first drivers test stuck with me since then.  He shared so much wisdom with me. I was only 17, to me, he was almost a God. He had served his country in the US Navy. He had worked for NASA. He was there, in the control room, during the first moon landing. When I didn't pass the written test for my drivers license, he consoled me, helped me study so that I would pass it the next time. I was afraid of failing the test again, so, I waited until the last minute to re-take the test. When I passed the written and the driving portion, Uncle Leonard was the first person I thought of.  I called him right after I arrived back at home to tell him I passed the test, just a day before leaving for USAF basic training in Texas.
He and his family lived in Florida, they visited the rest of the family in Michigan occasionally, so, it endeared him to me that he took the time to take me for a drivers test while on vacation. Calling long distance was a rare & special occasion, so, I was happy when my mother let me call him in Florida to tell him I passed. He had a great sense of humor! When I told him my news, he replied, 
"That's great, kiddo, now where's my 15 bucks?"
I never really knew quite how to take his sense of humor, I only knew I liked it when he made off the wall comments.

Uncle Leonard was just 2.5 months past his 87th birthday, he really packed a lot of loving and living into those years. A light in the world has gone out, he will be dearly missed by everyone who knew him. I have not cried in a long time. 

Tonight, I cried.

I know I will miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...