Monday, September 11, 2017

The Veterans Administration Fails

On a personal level, I can, now, with proof to back it up, say that The Veterans Administration has failed.

The Veterans Administration has failed ME.

For the past 5 + years I have fought with them for what I was told, was a sure thing. 
SLAM! dunk.
When my active duty status with the United States Air Force ended, I worked very diligently to put the horror of the sexual harassment, sexual assaults, along with the resulting anxiety, insomnia, depression etc. behind me.
In order to have a happy family, produce well reared children, I actively worked to stuff the PTSD caused by MST down deep.

Although the man I married, had seen the harassment first hand, had witnessed the many times I screamed & flailed in my sleep. Many times, ultimately waking in a cold sweat, crying, screaming, shaking. This gradually subsided.
The depression was the one remaining side effect from PTSD/MST.
He didn't understand or make the connection any more than I did. I had to consciously work to put it behind me, then keep my finger in the proverbial dyke to hold back the darkness.

FFWD to around 2012. I was persuaded by a VA Service Officer, who saw the manifestations of PTSD, that I should file a claim with the VA. I was shocked.
Having believed that I had covered it, stuffed it deep, moved past the events that had disturbed me so much, guess what?
It was still there!
The VA SO has a trained perception, he saw it.

He counseled me very patiently.

He brought me into having the courage to finally come forward, to tell the VA what had happened to me.

I knew what I had to do. The fear, the dread, the ensuing insomnia, nightmares, anxiety & depression, that dredging it all up from the bottom  of my subconscious would bring was so palpable.
The VA SO told me to write it out, as much detail as I could recall, names, places, what was said, what was done....... and who said it/did it.
Recalling all of the horrible events was easy. I have always had a very sharp memory, photographic recall.

The ensuing insomnia, nightmares, anxiety that was brought back in full force was the difficulty in it. Inability to hold a job, inability to trust, fierce railing at those who wronged me.
In the process of writing about the sexual assaults, the sexual harassment, the trauma of being denied medical care after the assaults. Being told that the events never happened.
All of the demons came back to roost.

After 2 years of giving the VA what they asked for, it went like this:

VA request
Gave it
Wait a month or so
VA request more
Gave it
Wait a month more
VA request for MORE
Gave it
Wait
VA request
Gave Wait
VA request
Gave
Wait
And so on...

This is how the VA treated my dredging up of trauma, harassment, anxiety, all for their request.

What did I receive in return?

Nightmares
Anxiety
Depression
Suicidal thinking
Unemployment
Hunger (no food available)
Social isolation
Financial difficulty

Then, an appointment with a VA Examiner. 

The VA Examiner had been an Elementary School Psychologist for a decade before working for the VA! During the 3 hour exam:

He asked questions, then talked over me so I couldn't answer
Put his hand up in my face when I continued to answer, to stop me from answering.
Called me "little girl" repeatedly.
Took out textbooks to prove to me, as he explained,  that the events I had described, never even happened.

In essence, he railroaded me. Then, he joined the males who harassed me, raped me, denied medical care, he denied my claim that I had sacrificed my peace of mind for, to build for two solid years.

My claim, as well as the poor treatment I have received from the Veterans Administration, is just one of thousands.

Yes, I have a positive PTSD caused by MST diagnosis from a trained Psychologist. That was nearly 2 years ago. 

The poor treatment I received is ongoing as my claim remains ignored as of today, ironically, 9/11/2017

The depression, anxiety, nightmares & insomnia, the poor relationships with family, unemployment, financial hardship, unfortunately continue.


3 comments:

  1. That sucks so bad. I regret you went through that bullshit for nothing again. I wish I could comfort you in some way because I know what it's like myself. That was 46 years ago and I still fight it. Keep the good fight going honey, there's bound to be help somewhere. Silly question, but have you notified your congressman? Never know. Good luck.\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Written to President Obama, president Trump, my congressman. Same result. Easy to ignore someone unless you need something from them.

      Delete

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...