Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Art of Being Real, The Art of Being Compassionate

It is easier to be critical, easier to find fault, easier to be unkind, often than it is to be kind, to give the benefit of the doubt, to be an authentic, more compassionate person.
Long sentence, big idealism.

People who are very critical of others, I find, are critical of others in an attempt to make themselves feel more secure. 
Thinking they are covering their own flaws, their own insecurity.
In reality?
The insecure person is broadcasting ~ I feel bad about myself!

The times in my life when I have experienced someone who showed compassion to me, gave me the beneficial side of a doubt, it changed me. It affected me in beautiful ways. 

These experiences helped shape me, further convinced me to strive to be the most authentic version of myself I can be.

The art of being an authentic person sounds like a more simple concept of raison d'etre than it actually is. 

Experiences which drove the point into me, to be authentic?

Just 2 examples for the sake of brevity.

~ At my father's funeral, I felt so very alone even in a crowded room. I was sitting with my brothers and 1 remaining sister, yet, still, felt very alone. My cousin, John, came into the room, made a bee-line toward me, put his arms around me in a tight hug, whispering into my ear, 
"It's good to see you, I'm so sorry, so sorry, so sorry."
That simple gesture of caring meant a great deal to me. His very authentic gesture made me feel so connected from that moment on for the rest of my stay in Michigan.

~ When describing the description of a frontline war conflict by a soldier whose acquaintance I made, it sounded a bit far fetched, to me. I re-told the war story told to me, to another soldier who had seen more than his fair share of wartime experiences which I knew to be valid. When asking him about the validity of the first persons tale, his response amazed me!
He gave benefit of the doubt with his reply.
" I would rather believe than discredit a fellow soldier."
That simple reply touched me, shaped me, gave me more desire to err on the side of compassionate benefit of the doubt.

 In this world of deceit, selfishness, lying, cheating, pain.

The milk of human kindness, the balm of compassion gives hope, gives healing to a human spirit.

Watching interviews with John F Kennedy JR, seeing his greatness in being so intelligently authentic, gives me pause.
Also, gives inspiration as to how to be as well as having the self respect enough to just ~

Be real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...