Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Power

Everyone who knows me, REALLY knows me, knows that the spirit of southern hospitality is strong with me. 

I love deeply
Doing for others is a pleasure for me
Cooking for others is a joy for me

In the ilk of these statements, people who truly know me, know that I keep a guest room in my home always ready, 24/7 baby!
Love having company, love having visitors.
Visitors with SOME notice, that is! Wouldn't want to be found nekkid, running through the house, by anyone. *wicked smile*

Last week, I had a friend whom I've known for most of my life, come to visit me. She's a very clean person, which motivated me to pay extra attention to the finer details of cleaning my home.

She's also Swedish/Finn which says a lot. They are known for their clean homes, clean living practices.
I met her when I lived in Germany.

From the moment she came to the front door, it was as if we had just seen each other a day ago. It's actually been 3 years.

She knew me at my heaviest weight, knew me as a wife & mother, now, she and I are single girls together! 
I like this much better.
She's as health conscious, body conscious, fitness conscious as I am. She lives in Colorado Springs & is constantly hiking, biking, skiing in the winter, playing tennis in the summer.
When I look at her? 
I see Heidi Klum. Tall, willowy, with long blonde & silver hair!
Yes, I know Hiedi is German. So what!

My friend, even after living in the USA for so long, still has her adorable Swedish accent. I can hear it. I love  it!

Having lived in Texas for 5 years, I miss the feeling of being with friends who know just about all there is to know about me, yet, they still love me!
I miss being around family members who I have a history with.

Family & friends who have witnessed my transformation from an unhappy, obese, abused wife to who I am, now, marvel at it.
Personally?
I guess I don't see what they see.
Working so hard to improve my fitness level, maintain & even improve health and, yes, on a vain note, attractiveness, I keep seeing ways to improve.

When my dear friend was visiting me, we would be talking, laughing or walking and she would  just  stop.
Whatever she was doing, she  just  stopped  what she was doing.

She looked at me and said, 
"Do you know how beautiful you are?"
or
"You're so pretty, it's why the guys fall all over you!"
or
"See? That's why guys like you so much!"

I go into denial.
Then, she reminds me of the time we traveled to Ohio, New York and Niagara Falls, together, and with no prodding at all, there was one guy who found out where our hotel room was and he brought gifts to me to try to persuade me to go out to dinner or lunch with him.
I couldn't leave my dear friend,so, I had to turn him down.
The next day, when we went to the hotel pool, a different guy was watching me playing and laughing in the water, he was watching me so intently, he tripped and fell!
My friend saw this and went into fits of laughter! 
The next guy quizzed my friend as to whether I was single or not. She really set me up! I had to turn the guy down.

When she complimented me, I denied, denied, denied. She reminded me of these events.

Day to day, I think very little as to whether I'm beautiful or not, yet, when my friend was so generous with her praise, it was very powerful! Taking excellent care of myself, body, mind & spirit, I feel as if I'm 25! My energy level is high. Often, I'm told by people who don't know my age, that I look 20 years younger than I actually am. I'm very healthy from my workouts, water drinking habit, love for fresh veggies & protein!
Her sweet words, delivered with such sincerity, lifted my spirits, made me feel as if I actually am as pretty as she says.

The words other people speak carry so much power. The words we all speak, carry more power than we realize.
Her presence in my home was a wonderful time of connection. Now, she has gone back to Colorado.
She is missed.
Her absence is definitely felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...