Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Disappearance of the "the"

Here we go, peeps.

As one who is acutely aware, deeply curious, even a bit analytical, I have noticed this phenomenon for awhile.

Let's see if it has also captured your notice.

Music is essential to my world. Most music. The nasty, what I term as, "bitches & hoes" non-music, is less desirable to my ears. The ears are the window to my heart, I'm a girl! So, when I hear something that is out of harmony with what appeals to me, yes, it's just plain garbage to me.

Listening to music is a mood setting experience. It can rock me, it can soothe me, make me sad, nostalgic or energy charged! Listening to the words, vocals, the beat, the back-beat, the different instruments, the rhythm, it affects my mood.

Funny thing, time, it keeps moving forward. ;)

As time moves forward, the names of musical groups as well as performers have changed, evolved, maybe? devolved, maybe?

Musical groups names used to begin with "The" ala The Jacksons then The Jackson 5. The Bee Gees. Sometime in the 1990s, the "The" was dropped.
It became, Boyz 2 Men vs The Boyz 2 Men. 
Also see Backstreet Boys, sometimes referred to as "The Backstreet Boys. They are no longer "Boys", so, will they change to Backstreet Men? 

Also, performers started using pseudonyms that had nothing of a resemblance to their name on their birth certificates. While many performers use their given names, as hard as it is to believe, ala Prince, yup, ha ha! His real, given name. 

Then there's David Guetta aka Pierre David Guetta

Have you heard of Marshall Mathers? of course not. He WAS Slim Shady until he became Eminem.

Samuel Timothy Smith? He's Tim McGraw.

Even John Denver was not John born as Denver. He was born with the name John Henry Deutschendorf. Rolls off the tongue a bit differently, hmm?

Destiny Hope Cyrus? Nope. Miley Cyrus!

Reginald Kenneth Dwight? He's Elton John when he's on stage!

Gordon Sumner is simply ~ Sting!

John Frances Bongiovi is less sexy than Jon Bon Jovi!

Ellen Regina Edwards? nope. She's Shania Twain!

Brian Hugh Warner = Marilyn Manson!

Stevlan Hardaway Judkins = Stevie Wonder!

Anna Mae Bullock? Ha ha. Tina Turner!

If you wish to re-invent yourself, change your name to something fabulous. If you're happy with the name you were born with, consider yourself blessed.

When an online poll was taken, a surprising 63% of respondents said that, if given the chance, they would change their birth name.

The evolving of names groups & people has been changing for a few decades, it seems fascinating to me. Just a little narcissistic, maybe. There's a lot that comes to bear in words, in names. In "The" names, if you will.

Why not?
(That's rhetorical)

Have some fun with it! Be who you are at whatever name you have or whatever name you choose to have.

2 comments:

  1. I have two friends who didn't like the names they were born with do choose other names. All legal documents are in their legal names but they are known as, names they selected. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that. I would change my last name if I could. Thank you for your comment, Nora!

      Delete

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...