Friday, November 13, 2020

It's all about passion




One aspect of life, for me, that has been consistent is needlework. It's less as a hobby, more of a passion, even an obsession. It's been a joy giving, peace giving, comforting constant presence. The love of needlework has stayed. Friends, lovers, children, family. They have all flitted in then out of my life at different times, different stages.

Love for needlework has remained. 

At times, when the pain of living in the world has stolen my peace, my ability to focus, my albondigas. It was necessary to go on hiatus from needlework. People who know me well, know that if I have taken a break from doing needlework, something in my life has hurt me. 
When I have attempted to stitch whilst in a state of unrest, I screw it up 100 ways til Tuesday! It takes focus, concentration. Believe or disbelieve, those two aspects can be different.

Doing self analysis has been lifelong for me. Constantly having to adjust, then readjust as life swirled around me. Forces of grief at the hands of abusive parents, losing my dear grandfather, losing a younger sister, a brother. The horrors of the dating world when I found myself single again after a long marriage. Like a weeble toy, sometimes I may wobble, might even fall down. 
I GET BACK UP!!

There has to be something to grab onto to pull myself out of whatever rabbit hole has snared me. Can you guess what it is?

Mmm Hmm.

My love, my passion for needlework. The beauty that slowly materializes before my eyes. Like a picture that is so blurred that it's impossible to be able to see exactly what it is. As I stitch, the design begins to appear in colors, patterns, flowers, stars, trees, butterflies.
Little buzzy bees develop wings.
Birdies appear before my eyes with little beaks, graceful wings, brightly colored feathers. Sometimes, a majestic eagle. Sometimes, a beautiful face or a studly figure of a man.

Maybe, it's the satisfaction of stabbing something a thousand times in one day. idk.

Again, people who really know me, also know that though I finish projects, I probably have over 100 in different stages of completion at any given time. Guilty of loving needlework, as charged!
People will also ask me that somewhat annoying question, 

"Do you really need that?"
(Need has zip zero nada to do with it!)
"Why don't you just finish all of them?"
"Why do you have so many?"
"What are you going to do with it?"
"Why do you start so many, then stop?"

The answer to these questions is simple for me. For, I know myself very well. Knowing what drives me, what delights me, what I love!

There are so many extraordinary needlework designers out there, busy people! These people who design the beautiful patterns I love are producing their patterns faster than I can stitch.

BUT I WANT TO!!!!!

Having met two celebrities in the needlework world ~ Alma Lynne ~ a self made needlework designer who was so gracious, so kind! When I went to Myrtle Beach, SC for a needleworkers retreat, I met her. It was the last day of the retreat, I had to pack up to leave my hotel room. I had a late night, the night before, walking on the beach for several hours. I listened to the ocean, felt the cool salt air and spray on my face. I went to bed late, so, I woke up late! I packed quickly, lugged my suitcase into the ball room, found a side room to re-pack in a more orderly manner. Alma Lynne saw me slip into the side room, she entered the room to check on me. 
I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES!
She had the impact of Marilyn Monroe walking through the door!
She was so sweet, so kind, so warm. She helped me re-pack my suitcase, gave me a few tips. I will always remember that magical moment!




When I learned of a Mirabilia Minions Retreat in San Antonio, TX, in May 2018, I felt the same electrical excitement. There is quite a bit more to this, yet, for the sake of brevity, I will say, I went! Meeting Nora Corbett was definitely a dream come true for me. She is an introverted, somewhat quiet person who produces legendary, beautiful designs. Again, Nora Corbett was so warm, friendly, gave her undivided attention to so many people who wanted to talk to her, have photos taken with her. Although the other stitchers were very cliquish, with a snobbish element akin to Junior High? It was still such a joy to be there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.



My favorite design from Nora, which I have personally stitched, is one that reminds me of my son, when he was a baby. I held him, time seemed to stand still. 
Those precious moments are frozen in my heart.




When a gorgeous, intricate design is so fresh from the printers, the needlework community goes into buzz mode. Posting pictures on social media, sending my brain into overdrive!!!!!

The most riveting, the most important part?

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...