Friday, November 27, 2020

Away in a Small Town, No Thanksgiving For me




It's Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2020.




The people who had invited me to their home canceled. So, I went into coping mode. 

"People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens.

It's different than I would choose, to spend the day, if I could choose, yet, it's what I have. Treating the day as if it were any other day makes a big difference.
I am a pariah, living in a small town. 
The one person I used to spend a lot of time with won't be available any longer, so, this is it. Many people will say that they would love it if they could just be alone, all the time. These same people also depend heavily upon others, so, most likely, they could not handle it even if they think they could.

Be careful what you wish for.

It takes a lot of adjusting, developing a way to cope, becoming more self sufficient, to be able to live happily single & alone by choice. Having always been a free spirit, it works well for me. Maybe, I simply make it work.
Maybe.

The stores were still opened when T-Day plans were canceled. I went out, bought a small turkey. I made foods tailored to my healthy lifestyle. Sweet potato mash with macadamia nuts is my favorite. A spinach avocado salad with a home made vinaigrette dressing.

Having pre-made a couple pies, I took a slice out of one, put the rest in the freezer along with the other whole one. What I really wanted to do was eat a whole one. Nope, I refrained.

Using more self restraint, I REALLY wanted to buy some wine or vodka & drink myself silly. (I'm silly after 1 or 2 glasses.)
Nope.
I made cranberry water, instead. A very simple recipe that has become my "go to" drink. Just fresh, whole cranberries, in the Nutri- Bullet with water & honey. Deeeee-lish!

As I looked online for a translating assignment, I found a huge document, submitted my consent to translate it. Eating slowly as I translated the document, it somewhat eased the pain. It helped me to disregard what day it was as page after page after page rolled on.

When the translating job was finished, a friend I have known since childhood, who lives in Ohio, phoned me. It was nice to talk at the end of the day. It was nice to hear a friendly voice, to talk with someone that I have such long history with. Someone who knows me well & still loves me!

Rounding out the day with the newest episode of Star Trek: Discovery while enjoying working on a needlework design. It was far from a traditional Thanksgiving. 

Still, I was with someone who loves me (ME!) & I had Star Trek!




No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...