Friday, November 6, 2020

A Prize Winning Recipe

True story ~ I had very few domestic skills when I went out on my own from my parents home. I learned a lot from serving on active duty in the USAF. 





Adding to those skills, the classes & other women whom I attended church with, taught me so much! I went from making food that my dog wouldn't eat, to becoming a great cook. 

During a bleak time when money was low, I put items from the pantry, fridge & freezer together. VOILA! It was so delicious! Everyone loved it. I entered it in a recipe contest, won a prize plus $300. 

That was quite decent, I thought! I continued to make this recipe over & over. Every person it was served to, raved about it. 

Polish Sausage Casserole was born!

The recipe was shared with the entire reader base of the magazine where it was published. I shared the recipe with many other people who asked for it. Thus, it will bear zero resemblance to the humor filled articles of a recipe being written on a grave stone. Ha ha!

Here it is!

Polish Sausage Casserole - My own recipe

1 large broccoli crown or 1 12 oz bag of frozen broccoli

4 medium red potatoes (I leave the peel on)

1 package of Hillshire Farms Polish Sausage

(I have used other brands, it tastes better with this brand)

1 - 15 oz can Campbells cream of mushroom soup

Slice the Polish Sausage into bite size slices. (often I cut these in half or even quartered them as some family members tended to pick the sausage pieces out to get more sausage). If you are using the frozen broccoli, it's most likely cut into small enough pieces. If you are using fresh broccoli crowns, cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces. Leave the peel on the potatoes or or peel them, it's really personal preference. Slice the potatoes into bite sized pieces, boil the potatoes in water (no salt)  just until slightly tender. Drain the potatoes well. Combine the veggies & sausage in a large casserole dish. Preferably with a lid. If you have one that is without a lid, you can cover it with aluminum foil. Open, then spoon the cream of mushroom soup onto the mixture. Very lightly combine the soup with the other ingredients.

Bake in the oven at 375 for 30 - 45 minutes. It should be bubbling hot. Let the casserole set for 15 minutes, slightly uncovered, after taking it out of the oven. Feel free to adjust the bake time as well as the temperature to achieve the delicious results! Some people will serve this with rice or over noodles to make it more filling.

If there is any left the next day, it's also really yummy if you heat it slightly, then crack a few eggs into the pan. Scramble the eggs, cook until eggs are slightly firm.

This recipe can be doubled or even quadrupled if you wish.

I hope that if/when you make this that you enjoy it!

Bon apetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...