Saturday, August 1, 2020

Are you lonely?



The human condition is such that people feel no shame in telling others that they have been diagnosed with cancer. Many people will talk openly about becoming infected with an STD. Even AIDS is something people will talk openly about.


There's also the obesity epidemic, people who are eating for pleasure, to comfort themselves, sometimes to relieve boredom. In the USA, food is so plentiful, people sometimes bond over food. Whether outright giving food to someone or taking someone out to a restaurant as a treat. Smiling whilst complaining about how much weight they have gained as well as how much more they are piling on. Gluttony is something people laugh & joke about.
It's all a part of modern life.
In the USA, food is everywhere, most of it is full of empty calories with scant nutrition.

Most people won't outright tell others they are hungry. The exception is the occasional person begging at the freeway exit ramp or street corner.
They might or might not feel shame in doing this.
No judgment from me.
I used to keep granola bars & bottled water in my car to hand to some of these people. I would have a bit of a guilty conscience if I didn't do something to help a fellow human. 
People have to do what it takes to survive.

There is another epidemic in the world that is more pervasive than AIDS, an STD, obesity or even poverty.

There seems to be such a stigma attached to admitting that you feel very alone or are very lonely. It's as if you might as well take a sharpie then draw a big "L" on your forehead, for LOSER!

Social Media could possibly be contributing to the loneliness epidemic. 
The same people who will concentrate so fervently on their social media accounts for 3 - 5 hours every day, will ignore people right in front of them to concentrate on their phone.


For fear of rejection, being pitied or seen as a loser, most people won't admit to feeling very alone in the world, to feeling lonely.

I'll say it.

Often I feel very alone in the world & yes, lonely.

I'm single & celibate by choice. Instead of burdening others with the loneliness I experience, I tend to self isolate. Working it out, on my own. 
Oh yeah, there's the solution! Ya think?



Other people seem to be just too busy with their families, work, church, kids, pets, etc.
Working from home, I tend to work a lot. Sometimes 14 - 16 hours straight in the day. I find that filling up the days & nights with work projects, hobbies, working out, while isolating myself, it gives a sense of gratification.
Sometimes it can feel good to just sleep for long periods of time.
Sleeping around.
On the left side of the bed, on the right, in the center, sleeping around and around, all over my bed!

Even those are only temporary fixes.

In a more kind, more gentle world, there would still be a bit of loneliness yet less pervasive than the current status quo.  
Just an FYI, I know I self isolate, have had many opportunities to couple up. Those guys, I'm sure, were decent men, simply not a good fit for me. 
There are very few guys I'm attracted to & no I never switch "teams".
It's only a certain type of guy I feel attracted to. It has nothing to do with money, his height, his length 🙂, his looks. The guys I'm attracted to tend to be younger than me. Usually it's because they have the confidence that older ones lack, to approach me. 
It's better to remain single while being reasonably content than it is to be with someone who eventually would be a source of misery.

I wouldn't say that I'm a very picky person, however, very few men attract me. 
The other person should have someone who truly cares about them, unless I could do that, I'll just say, "Nah, I'm good."

If you, yourself get bit by the lonely bug, please remember that it's okay to feel that way. There are many people who also feel as you do. It's hard wired into people to be with other people. 

It takes a strong person to fly solo.

Be strong, friends, we really are in this together.


No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...