Sunday, December 24, 2017

Renewed Friendship

The first time he whistled at me, it felt like he should be a part of my life. A grey tuxedo, a great singing voice, yeah, he was quite appealing.

He went home with me within 10 minutes of meeting him, the rest, is history! Or at least, 14 years of history.

He laughs, sings, sometimes even bites, yet, still as charming as ever! He lives quite a solitary life while seeming to be content. I feel a twinge of sympathy for him, yet, he has plenty of company.

Eight years ago, he moved to Texas, then Florida, then North Carolina, now, he's back in Texas until next June, when he will move to California. Visiting with him in San Antonio is wonderful!
He has not aged at all! I had no clue I would grow to love him or that he would live so long.
He is just as charming, sweet & sometimes bitey-feisty, as he was the first time I met him & took him home with me.

I took the 5 hour drive from Graham, TX to San Antonio, when I got here, there he was! Looking as good as he did the first time I met him!

He cocked his head slightly to the right &  wolf whistled at me, then began to sing! He remembered me very well, I think.

Petey is a male Cockatiel. At a church meeting, many years ago, I listened to a woman drone on about how annoying he is, how he is NEVER quiet.

I thought, hmm, I kinda like this bird, already!

I told the woman, "If you ever want to find a new home for this annoying bird, let me know!"
She replied with:
"You can have him today, if you want him!"

I went to her home, he was in a cage that was too small for him, yet, he was happily whistling & singing! 
It was love at first sight! I took him home with me.
Prior to that, I had only had dogs.
Now, I had a bird!
One persons' annoying bird is another persons' delightful pet!

I had "acquired" 3 more cockatiels, 2 females & 1 male after Petey.
They have, all 3, passed on ~ such delicate angels! Petey is as entertaining as he was from the first time I met him. He still greets me with a wolf whistle then a song.

It was so nice to see him, again. I put him on my shoulder, he nibbled my ear, rubbed his beak on the side of my face, squawked, whistled & sang. 

I call him "pizza" often. Ha ha. Yup. Petey = Pizza. Not because I want to eat him! I love pizza, I love Petey, too!

I knew I had missed this lively character, yet, only realize now, how much! It was so nice to get re-acquainted with him.
Petronicus oh Petronicus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...