Thursday, April 28, 2016

Making it on my own


That's fact.

When divorcing I was told by a few people that I would fall flat on my ass, that I would probably have to marry down for financial support.

HaH!

Would rather not. TYVM! I have tried many different occupations.
Worked for a Government agency (SAIC). Started a catering service which I ran for 5 years until the economy started a crash & burn, had to sell my baby (catering service) to avoid filing bankruptcy. Worked at a couple minimum wage jobs (ugh!) after that. Answered an advertisement in a newspaper, worked as an Executive Assistant until, one day, I was in a car accident with an illegal Mexican citizen. I speak very fluent Spanish. He didn't speak much English. He begged me not to call the police. We called his daughter who arrived immediately.
She wanted to fix my car as long as I didn't report her father. I struck a deal with her. She had to fix my car. She had to get her father naturalized so that he was legally in the USA. Then, she had to let me teach him to speak English.
He was a fast learner. In 2 months he was speaking, reading & writing English. He referred me to other Hispanic people who were in the USA legally, yet, had never learned English.
It was quite rewarding, quite amazing!

Most of my clientele were Hispanic. There were a few ESL students who were German, a couple of French students. One was a precious, sweet 21 yr old Japanese girl who was in the USA to promote, monitor & manage her fathers company. She spoke decent English, yet, some pronunciations escaped her. She had a sporadic schedule, so, she paid me very well to be my only student. I was on call. Kinda different, yet, I made it work!

When I moved to Texas & things fell apart, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. I only knew *one* person & he was happy to have me completely depend on him. That's not my style.
I started document translation & interpretation in mid 2012.
Also did a few other things for income, I was going to make it!

Document translation & interpretation is something I can do from home, online, only going in for a meeting in Dallas once per year. It sounds ideal. I guess so.

My personal definition of document translation & interpretation?
Going on a daily 600 mile road trip, 50 feet at a time.

Yupp.

Tedious, time consuming, yet, it pays. It has its' slow down periods, then very rapid turnaround. It's what I have, far from a dream job. Definitely keeps my language skills sharp!

A few months ago, I found a way to cut down on my clutter, making a bit of extra $$ at the same time. For many years I designed needlework, taught needlework, stitched for enjoyment.
Fitness is my main focus, now.
Selling off needlework patterns, fabric & accessories is giving me the freedom to clear space, cut down on "stuff". it will be easier when I move the next time.

Ex-Huzz as well as other nay-sayers will have to live with being wrong.
All of them underestimated me. They allowed their insecurities in the form of negative assessment of my abilities, to come out through their mouths.

HAH!
WRONG!

I am a survivor. A loving sweet girl, who is also a fighter. Loving to fight is unlike me, however, I will fight for who as well as what I love.
Right now?
I love fitness!
I'm a WILF!  :)
Oh, I still do needlework occasionally. Less than I used to.

Feeling my body become stronger & leaner is awesome.

Who do you love?
What do you love?
What are you passionate about?
Do you indulge in it daily? weekly? monthly?
You should.

Just some of my passions;

FITNESS!
Natural living
Psychology
History studies
Juicing (the fruit & veggie kind, not 'roids!)
Needlework
Volunteer work
Helping others
Organizing
Foreign Language Study
Traveling
Cultural studies

**********************************************

That's the short list.

Follow your passions!

Do what you love!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...