Monday, June 11, 2018

Are you native?

This is such a broad question.

This "Are you native?" question

This is so very subjective to personal interpretation.

Well, are you?

:)

When living in Colorado, many times I heard this proud exclamation!
"My family has lived in Colorado for 6 generations, I'm a native!"

Sometimes I replied with, "I'm 1/2 Native American (as it says on my birth certificate; Father: American Indian) so, I was here before you!"

Having learned to simply reply with, "That's so cool!" benefited me more as the way I really felt was inflammatory. Keep the peace!

My father was nearly 100% Native American. However, when I submitted to a DNA analysis, it said I am 55% Native American right down to my lil genes, y'all!

Having felt NA heritage deeply, the scant 5% more thrilled me!

Here's a twist in this.

Upon arrival to my first duty station in Hawai'i, I felt something.

It was a feeling of home, of connection.

It was more feeling than about the beauty of the land, flowers, people, music, foods, ocean.
It was a feeling of "home." I was alone in the world for the first time, the absence of family, familiar surroundings, familiar friends.

I see what you did, there, USAF!

As adjusting to new surroundings was paramount, it was necessary to adjust.....quickly!
So, adjust, I did, only, I did it slowly. At a comfortable pace for me.

Soon, I was grooving to island music, going to the beach every day, buying huli-huli chicken whenever I saw it.
Fun times, y'all!

Having physical features which were enough to make me stand out when I left the military base, I really stood out! Strawberry blonde with light green eyes. Not exactly the picture of an island girl!
I was a guest in the islands, so, I was courteous & respectful as any guest should be.
This was a different attitude from the somewhat "better than you" attitudes which other "guests" exhibited which was less than welcome to the local people of Hawaii. Understandable.
The longer I lived in the islands, the more I grew to love the people of this beautiful place.
The version of English ~ Pidgin ~ which the locals speak, was very endearing. A sort of relaxed, song like way of speaking. Loved it!

People who either blend in so well or have lived in the islands a long time are known as kama'ainas (cah-mah-aye-nahs). My local friends on the north shore of Oahu accepted me, I was kama'aina.

Since living in Hawaii years ago, I still carry that love for the islands in my heart. I'm a mainlander, now, I keep going back.

Hawaii calls to me, I go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...