Thursday, June 14, 2018

A Wild Ride!

In mid May of this year (2018) I was thrilled to have the opportunity to meet someone I have admired for a long, long time! There was a retreat planned for May 18 - 20 in San Antonio. The drive down there was around 481 km. (300 miles!)
Having made the drive 4 times before, I was fine with it until.....
one of the worst storms I have ever driven in kicked its' forces of nature up to full blast!
There were strong winds, I would guestimate 25 mph. Torrential rain, then, golf ball sized hail!
Truthfully, I wondered if this was how I would go. As in, am I going to die in this storm? It was that scary! 

Driving slowly with caution lights flashing, I made it!

When I tell you that it was a weekend get together for around 100 needle workers, you might think some thoughts.
~ yawn
~ dull
~ boring
~ ugh

Peeps! I'm here to tell you that it was anything except dull! There were ladies (plus a few guys) there, of all ages, from other countries, ethnicities.  There were mother/daughter attendees, mother/son attendees. A couple of the ladies were expectant mothers to be. 
All of them came together for the great passion we all have for needlework. 
Hang on, this is gorgeous, imaginative,sometimes R-rated stitching!




There was alot of togetherness, comeraderie, making new friends, seeing long time friends, exchanges of gifts & yes, margaritas & wine! 
Even 1 giant dildo.

Yup. ha ha! 

So, before you think of needlework as boring, extinct, so
 blase'-passe'.............think again!

The needlework designer, who is most beloved by all, the goddess behind Mirabilia, was there! It was my thrill, my pleasure to meet this creative genius! She IS Mirabilia!

http://www.mirabilia.com/

This is a mermaid I stitched as a gift to my daughter who was so kind to let me borrow it for display at the retreat.

 The title is Deepest Love designed by Nora Adams - Corbett, stitched by me on 32  ( 32 squares to 1") Teal Dawn, 2 over 1.

Nora Adams - Corbett was so congenial, so much fun, so nice, she spread herself thin, making sure to talk to everyone. She gave her undivided attention to each and every attendee to this weekend retreat! She drank wine in the evenings, conversed, laughed, joked, participated to the fullest! She even posed for numerous pictures with all those who requested it. So humble, so very kind!
I feel so thrilled to have come home with a piece of her original artwork!

One of the side bonuses was to spend time with family members who live in the San Antonio area. That was a huge bonus for me!

The hotel had an adequate fitness center, a very nice pool, a little bistro/bar, a fantastic gathering area with little nooks & tables in their lobby.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/satca-courtyard-san-antonio-airport/

When the meeting room was overflowing with people, we gathered out in the lobby to sit in groups, have conversation & stitch with other needle work enthusiasts.

This is a design I stitched, which someone told me looks like a self portrait. Hmm. So complimentary. I will accept this rose.  :)
(This is not a Mirabilia design, yet, it could easily be one!)




In my own truth, it didn't happen as I thought it would, yet, it happened as it should. It was deliciously wonderful & made great memories that I will treasure for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...