Saturday, September 1, 2018

Gifted Tongue








 If you're reading for your fix, you might be disappointed. 
Stay with me.
Keeping it clean, y'all!

The news reports of our elegant & beautiful FLOTUS remark on her ability to speak 5 languages. For the average USA citizen, this truly IS a remarkable trait. It can also be construed as a sign of above average intelligence, crazy skills & smarts!

Since I have lived outside the USA, in a country or three, I can tell you that many children still in their single digits, in countries outside the USA, commonly speak 5 - 15 languages. 

While serving in the US Air Force, I discovered this gift. I had a year of Spanish, got kicked out of French class by a witch of a teacher who scared me speechless. I was painfully shy, then.

As a result of my service in the US military & living in many different cultures, different countries, I speak 5 languages as well. It simply came naturally to me.
Although I'm not as beautiful or claim any celebrity like Melania Trump, I have the same ability as she, in languages. Have been told that I'm way above average in smarts, IQ, etc. In 3rd grade, my teachers & parents were blown away when the results of my I.Q. test showed my score at 165.
That's 20 points above genius.
The abuse I was suffering at home, the bullying at school, having to start kindergarten at age 4 were major obstacles which made me a very shy child, nervous, insecure, immature.
BMT changed all of that!
In spite of the severe PTSD - MST, it was imperative for me, to find a way to push it aside as much as possible to be a good mother. My kiddos will list everything I did wrong.
They have no idea the demons I was fighting.

In spite of what happened while I served my country, the military situations I found myself in, brought out the linguistic genius I had. Whilst living in Deutschland, I, not only taught myself a very challenging style of needlework, I put my language skills to work.
I lived in the village of Rodenbach im Kaiserslautern, Germany & did a great deal of grocery shopping across the border at Cora, a French version of a Walmart Super Center. I spoke fluent Deutsche , upon crossing the border, I was speaking Francois. That's German & French, respectively.
It was so cool!!!!!!!

Quite often, when visiting open air markets, I would speak to family members in Amerikanische, turn to the vendor, speak to them in their language, turn to another person, speak to them in their language! 
According to my German neighbors, speaking "Englishe" is with an Englishe accent. "Amerikanishe" is what people from the OO-ESS-AH are speaking. Um, okay!
When strolling through the markets, it felt like *click*, *click*, *click*. Clicking between languages inside my mind, keeping it all straight. 
It was fun, for me.

In present day, I still think in other languages, yet, it's a different type of fun. 
Hispanic people don't realize that a green eyed girl with strawberry blonde hair can understand every word they are saying!
Yup! Ha ha! 
Fun-Fun. 
For me!
I also speak Sarcasmese, BullCornese, even baby-talk when taking care of someone who speaks that one!

The long standing colloquialism that it's difficult to learn a language other than your natural one, is false.
I'm in the process of proving that one wrong.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...