Sunday, September 2, 2018

Be Careful What You Long For

Yes

Be careful, infused with care.

People who know me, who have known me for a decent amount of time (10 years or more) have heard my desire to live in a small town, heard me sing the praises of life in a small town.

In my defense ~ I was a child when I lived in small town USA!

After leaving my parents home at age 18, I had only experienced small town life ~ ever. It felt suffocating that almost everyone knew me or knew members of my family. It also felt like a soft, secure cocoon. It was safe. I loved feeling reasonably safe.

The freedom of getting out on my own was a real head rush! Bruh! I was waaaayyy out on my own. First, from Michigan to Texas to California then Hawai'i! Definitely different.

I was cooking with fire.

The best part of fire is that you can stay warm, you can cook with it. 
The dangerous part of fire is that you can burn your house down, you can suffer injury from it.

I have done all four.

Having lived in this small town since 2012, I realize that along with the safety, the peacefulness, there is an undercurrent of small mindedness, gossip. Limited opportunities. 

Glass walls. Glass ceilings.

People on the outside can't see this, it isn't part of their experience.

If you didn't go to High School here, if you are single, if you don't have any children living with you, if you don't have family, you won't have many friends, either. If you have a low income, you can forget it right there, that aspect, alone will negate you in this town.

You will be a nobody to most people in this town.

People are surface friendly, however, most will not go out to lunch with you & most will not invite you to their home.
I'm looked at as an oddity, looked at with suspicion.
The local police were doing a traffic stop on me 3 - 5 times per week for the first 4 years after moving to this town.

For these reasons + more, I know I will leave this beautiful small town at some point. Having lived in a small town, I realize, that, although the deeply painful experiences in Colorado Springs, CO soured the experiences of  a bigger area, the trade off is often better.

The home I am living in is beautiful. My landlords are great!

There is something out there that will be a beautiful balance of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...