Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Enigmatic Hair





My mother had beautiful, bright red hair along with very soulful large brown eyes. She had curly red hair from the day she was born. My grandfather, having seen her immediately after she was born, said she was the wildest thing he ever saw. A full head of bright red curly hair on a newborn. My grandfather was a Detroit cop for several years. He had seen a lot. For him to say my mother was the wildest thing he ever saw, that says a lot!




Myself, I had strawberry blonde hair, light green eyes. Not red hair, strawberry blonde must have been how the gene pool was mixed to create me. It was something I rarely thought about until getting out, into the world, it seemed to be an eye-catching combination.




In school K - 12, I was teased & bullied regarding my light green eyes. They turned yellow in the sun which caused the other children to call me a vampire. That moniker was far less popular than it currently is. Being a vampire was neither sexy nor cool.




There are psychology articles & legends written about people with red hair. It seems that many guys see it as an indicator of a passionate nature. Maybe it's all in the viewer's heads. To me, it's more of an external trait, less of an indicator of a strong, wild sex drive.
Who knows?
I'm simply speculating.

Throughout art history, artists from Botticelli to Dante have promoted the idea of women with red hair to be promiscuous, sensual, devious, a species apart from all other women. Psychology suggests that it's partly wishful thinking of men, partly coercement to act or at the least, to react.

In life, currently, the red streaks in my hair are something I try to cover. It fails every time! 
At first, the color is a beautiful dark blonde with lighter streaks in it. Just ten days after coloring my hair whether I do it at home or have it done professionally, the red begins to emerge. The red streaks are more visible if I'm in sunlight or any bright light. 

Thanks for that, mama.




Leading a quieter life than I used to, those red streaks still draw more attention than I feel comfortable with. Being wild or promiscuous was never for me. Sure, I did some stupid things, none of which could make me pregnant or send me to jail. 
Solo skinny dipping in Hawai'i
Seminude photos 
Crossing a busy street
Revenge against a guy, dumping sugar water on him from above, in public, on a very hot, humid day. He stopped verbally harassing me.
Going to the clothing optional hot springs in Colorado.

As I am, I feel, living my life in the reverse order of many people out there, most of my time is spent working or sleeping. The career of my dreams found me. It feels more like play than work, so, I guess I could be termed as a workaholic, now, I LOVE IT!
Many people go from high school graduation, on to the military or college or both simultaneously. Get an education then begin a career, get married, start having kidlets.
Although I did the HS grad - military - marry & have kidlets. When the marriage fell apart & the kidlets grew up, I had to build a new life for myself, reinvent myself. So, I did.

After the dust had settled on the divorce & the ex huzz was still trying to exercise a bit of control over me, I moved 500 miles away from where he & his wife live. After I moved, it felt as if I had hit a reset button on my life. Aging backwards, if you will, with the wisdom plus knowledge of life I had gained.

Often, I allowed my memory to drift backwards to the beautiful home I lived in, in Waipio Gentry as a single girl. I drove my housemates '75 golden edition red MGB, usually with the top down! Because my housemate was gone a lot, I had quite liberal use of the gorgeous car.
The feeling is a recapture for me, more than the events. far from living in the past. I stay grounded in the present with the asmr of an earlier time in my life.
Allowing the feelings of being so free, happy, to swirl around in my brain feels as close to time travel as I have ever felt.

Do gingers feel free? Deliriously happy?

All I know is that often, I do feel this way.






No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...