Saturday, January 7, 2023

Malama Na Koa




Love for a Koa wood box where I put my most loved things
A ticket stub from Iolani a few pretty promise rings
Small photos of my children whether close or lost to me
When they were my sweet babies this is what I see
Koa wood has a distinct scent as a cherished wood
I would furnish my house with it if I only could
The Hawai'ian spirit lives in me deep within my heart
A feeling of aloha while the islands and me are apart
Na Leo music plays as tuberose wafts through the air
Closing my eyes I can dream that I'm back there
Warriors of times past so primal so brave in their quest
Fills me with a yearning to be more than just a guest
Today the islands are a shadow of how they used to be
When every state park beach was unowned and free
Capitalists along with tourism on rampant overdrives
Hurt the natives of the land complicating their lives
All natives had to become warriors to protect the lands
Their hearts turned to something no haole understands
Being a girl who has known the beauty of many hearts
Aloha planted a seed in me with the feeling it imparts
Though I have lived there then was a tourist as well
Going back treating kindly to make a difference I can tell
It's small it's short it means so much to see their smiles
From this haole girl to the people so far across the miles









No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...