Saturday, November 11, 2023

Are you dealing with depression?






In today's world of the hustle culture, people constantly brag about how busy they are. They are so busy - busy - busy.
So busy, they are human doings.
They have forgotten how to be human beings.
There are shameless serial cheating people who love things while using other people. Dealing with depression is a sad part of life for so many people. Possibly it's a direct result of these delightful aspects of the times we live in. 

What is your experience with depression?

Here is mine.

To me, depression is a foul smelling, slimy, ugly beast that waits by my bedside for me, to deal discouragement, self-loathing, along with a cocktail of sadness, regret, motivation crushing. It's served up on a bed of something I REALLY hate.  Eggplant parm. Ick!
Depression, when served on anything would still rate as ick.

Many people struggle with depression with or without meds to cope. Having used the meds at one time, my experience of feeling like a robot or non-brain eating zombie is something I choose to do without. Coping in other ways is a personal preference.

Sometimes I use sleep as way to escape when it's possible. Feeding myself happy suggestions as I drift into sandman territory, it gives such pleasant dreams with a renewed sense of hope when I awaken.
It used to be so astonishing to people who would phone me at 1500 or sometimes 1900, hearing me answer with a quality of sleepiness in my voice. 

When the cares of life become overly heavy to bear. Sometimes when the sadness of an event or even having terrible menstrual cramps gets too painful, preparing for a night of rest helps no matter how early in the day.
There is a healing property in ocean water. The benefit has been touted for a millennium or longer. Obviously, due to the geography of where I currently call home, going to the ocean to prep for beddy bye to escape depression or soothe the baby maker is an impractical option. As an alternative, a soak in warm water in a bathtub with a generous amount of sea salt is the next best.



After soaking for 20 minutes or so, a cool rinse feels good. Stepping out of the tub, slipping on comfy nightclothes, twisting my blonde hair up into a loose top knot, secured with one large pin. Oh, the benefit of having finely textured tresses. 
All it takes to hold my locks up is one large pin. It keeps stray strands from finding their way to snake themselves down my throat as I sleep.
When going to bed very early is impractical, working on a needlework project helps though it's second best. A bare minimum of one hour does it, 2 -3 hours is better. With needle, fabric, thread in my hands, time goes by so fast. Watching the beautiful design developing is so rewarding. TAKE THAT! Depression.

There are other ways that the sadness can creep in with the absence of a reason. It's been an important part of personal growth for me to find ways to keep the dang dragon away. Methods I use might help others or they might give others inspiration to find their own way.

Traveling is one of the pleasures in life that I love. Domestic or international, I love to travel. Being a polyglot helps with international travel. The enrichment of seeing new sights, meeting different people, breathing different air, it's a thrill! 

Something that I love to do while on a road trip is to do 1 - 4 RAKs for people who seem to need it. It can be something very simple, can involve lucre or something similar. It seems to add elements of meaning & purpose to my travels.

Upon returning from a trip, it seems, it's when I'm most vulnerable to depression.
Yes - Yes it's nice to be home, even comforting to sleep in my own bed. Even if I have music playing or a long flik, the ring of silence in the air is still there. It just hangs there like a layer of fog.

After my recent solo road trip to Ohio, Michigan, meeting my sister in Mackinaw City, then going to Mackinac Island together on the ferry, it was so magical. We went to the Somewhere in Time weekend at The Grand Hotel. It was a dream fulfilled, for me. Having my sister with me made it even better.


This is a Mackinac Island taxi. No cars are allowed on the island. The Grand Hotel is in the background.

Having beautiful flowers delivered shortly after returning was lovely. The cost of sending an arrangement to myself or to others is similar in price to ordering tuberose leis from the Hawaiian Lei Company. The scent is so uplifting, intoxicating. 

Something I started doing was to order flowers to be delivered within 2 days of returning. If ordering flowers delivered is infeasible, a $5 - $10 bouquet from your local grocers will do.
Just having the flowers in the house is such a pleasure. The scent of tuberose wafting in the air, the life infused scent of greenery. It's so refreshing, so comforting to my soul.




Another remedy for depression is to take a daily walk if you can. It's such a simple thing which does so much. Take a walk on different routes every day. A long walk or a short walk. A minimum of 30 minutes seems to work best for most people.

Another simple solution that has helped me is to read. Yes, actual paper & ink books. Foregoing the electronic sorts is better. As so many people are less interested in actual paper & ink pages, the books are being donated to thrift stores, sold for .10 in yard sales by the boxfuls. Entire generations will miss the scent of aging paper in books right along with learning to write in cursive.
Cutting down on clutter, I borrow books from the library, now. Sometimes, I will buy a book if it's newly authored, one I will enjoy.

Have you ever walked by a bakery or even baked a loaf or four of bread in your home? The aroma is so unique. It's possible to buy a candle or room spray or some such form of fragrance. You can.
Ain't nothing like the real thing.
Smelling that aroma is wonderful, I give the bread to others so that I get the scintillating whiff in my home, others get the calories.

Yes, depression is such a heavy condition to live with. Having stopped going to conventional doctors, long ago. the shaman I trust to help me when I encounter the rare health issue, made a very helpful tea from what he grows in his green house. He developed it for me, personally, after some bloodwork. 
All ingredients are legal in every state, just so you know. It does relieve the symptoms of depression as long as I use it sparingly. Using it more than thrice weekly, my system will adapt, it's effect weakens.

As a history buff, I find Queen Marie Antoinette fascinating. She was very sheltered, sent off to France from Austria at the tender age of 14, married soon after that to someone who was still such a boy in a good way! Neither of them knew about sex or what to expect or what they were expected to do or how babies are made.
Marie Antoinette was a bit spoiled, catered to. A parfum was created for her by the house of Lubin. It was named The Queens Garden in the nose nod to La Petit Trianon at Versailles. The parfum was brought back recently, the house of Lubin is still making perfume. The name of it is Black Jade & yes, I was able to procure some.
There are also combinations of herbs to create the tea that Marie Antoinette loved. It's very unique, delicately flavored. I have it.
It's so nice to have friends in French places.

Here's hoping that these suggestions might help. Be willing to do research, find what works for you.

Hold
On
Pain
Ends






No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...