Thursday, January 13, 2022

Play With It





There are just four practices which I know like I know that I am very good at. Four practices in which I can rightfully claim to be an expert in using with such skill that others marvel at my talent.

The first skill is in inventing recipes to please all palates.
The second skill is with languages, I speak 5 fluently, can read a 6th,
The third is couture seamstressing, intricate embroidery.
The fourth is one I will leave to your oh so keen imagination.

When the memo was floating around to not play with your food, I got a different memo. "Play with your food!"

At one time I had founded, ran plus was very successful at my own catering service. I fuh-reek-ing loved it. It was akin to getting paid a lot to party while raking the chedda' in as I also helped others.
Golden.
Okay, platinum!

It was very gratifying when I combined flavors that are less commonly used together, that people went nuts over it! Even people with very discerning palates couldn't figure out what all the flavors were. All they knew was that was so delicious that they craved more of whatever it was.
I served mashed potatoes with a twist in different variations.

Below is a short list of variations, though they have more ingredients than is mentioned in the name of each one. It remains a secret! 

*Ginger cream mashed potatoes were scrumptious with coq au vin or beef bourginion.
*Sesame garlic potatoes were a great complement to any chicken.
*Sun dried tomato & fresh basil mashed potatoes were a hit with any dish with a tomato sauce.
*Smoothed yam or sweet potato with ginger & macadamia nuts.
(Even people who were not fond of yams loved this!)

When I sold my catering service the buyer wanted my recipe book with all of the recipes I used in catering. Most of the recipes were my own private creations.
I was giving myself a mental pat on the back that I had made it clear in the sales contract that my recipe book was not included. The recipe book was, however, available for an additional cost that could be negotiated between buyer (them) & seller (me). The buyer was a businessman from Japan. I had tutored his daughter to improve her English language pronunciation. That's how I met him.
I don't speak Japanese. The buyer was a bit unhappy that the recipe book was not included. He spoke English very well. Whatever he was saying to his associate in Japanese didn't sound like it was very nice.
Sorry, not sorry.

As the temps drop, even in north Texas, I make this recipe that I invented, for myself. It's delicious, nutritious, very surprisingly filling, has been loved by every person who has ever tasted it. Even dogs & cats love it. Possibly because of its delectable aroma.

My Carrot & Ginger Root Bisque is so divine many people crave it.

You might ask what the difference is between soup vs bisque.

Soup is most often water based. Usually based on chicken, vegetable beef or seafood broth. The mainstay of a soup is the ingredients added to it to make it filling while relying on the backdrop of the base plus a scant bit of salt to make it savory. 

Bisque is of French origin. It has a cream base or creamy consistency which sets it apart from its cousin, soup. 

The delectable creamy-ness of my carrot ginger bisque is created by a base of cooked & pureed ginger root with (about 3 lbs of carrots) carrots with around 3/4" of ginger root. I tend to go with 1" or 1.5" of ginger root when I make this for myself. Living dangerously is how I roll. I love the bite that the ginger adds. Ginger root, similar to the bite of pineapple is a food you can eat that eats you right back!
Heh heh.

When my carrot-ginger bisque became an often-chosen item for a catered party, I chose to ramp it up a wee bit.
SCORE!
The bisque is appealing in its presentation. I added a bit via an offering of a snipped herb of choice. This was very well received, however, different people preferred different flavors.
Challenge accepted!
Investing in 100 ramekins, a choice of 4 herbs served a la table. The four herbs that really worked were.

1. Cilantro
2. Parsley
3. Basil
4. Dillweed

Every person liked at least one of these, often 2 or three. I love to please with my culinary skill especially if it's my own recipe. The offering of snipped herbs made the bisque even more popular!
It brought me to offer something more.

A sprinkle of nutritional yeast not only heightened the flavors, it also added another element of nutrient. 
B-12. 
I loved to carry my pretty silver, antique shaker of nutritional yeast, around, socializing slightly with the guests. 
At the tables that requested a sprinkle of nutritional yeast after the bisque had been ladled into each individual bowl, it also provided a beautiful contrast of light yellow (nutritional yeast) to the healthy orange glow of the bisque.
It was just pretty!

Adding to the beauty of the bisque, consuming it regularly is excellent for the skin. It gives a soft facial glow to the people who eat carrots quite often. 
It's also known as Rabbit Syndrome.
(just playing!)
When I was working on the carrot ginger bisque recipe, I developed an orange cast to my skin. It was slightly embarrassing to walk around with an orange face!
(It only had to happen to me once to learn the lesson).

As the weather becomes colder, I turn to my carrot ginger bisque as a staple. Just not enough to turn my face orange!




 

2 comments:

  1. Somehow. I wound up on this post because I clicked on something on STSP and then on something else and eventually the Internet rabbit hole landed me here. And now I don't want to leave.

    You know how everyone complains that recipe blog posts are the worst because all we want is the recipe? Yeah, well, this is the first post I've ever seen that contradicts that mantra. I'm in!

    More soup posts, please. You have a new reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by & taking the time to read then leave a comment. There are several recipes throughout my blog posts. The blog covers a wide range of topics including travel, poetry, fitness/health practices, life observations. I love to cook, love inventing recipes! You will see more soup recipes; I hope you enjoy those as well.

      Delete

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...