Thursday, March 21, 2024

We Don't Talk Anymore





Well, we don't talk anymore like we used to do.
(Who is "we".)
 At the very least, in person or even on the phone. Even friends & family whom we share history, connection, emotional closeness with, often text instead of calling for a voice conversation or even a lunch meetup.

Oddly, some people will text from the next room over or even sitting down at the same table for a meal or whatever.
Then there's the oh so charming sexting with unsolicited pics of the texters anatomy. Delightful.

A tenet of my personality is that I count things. Breaths in, breaths out. Number of cars in a driveway. Number of times a person I consider as someone I'm emotionally close with has texted or FB messaged instead of talking on a phone or getting together to do something fun, with. Even someone within 10 miles of where we live.
The average is *1* in person or voice conversations for every 5 interactions.
That's sad.
This is what humans are moving toward.
Contactless interaction.
Contactless payment.
Contactless food delivery.
Contactless occasion greeting card delivery.

I get it. 
People are busy. Doing so much they have evolved into human doings vs beings. Yes, I use this phrase a lot as it rings true.
A person will give you their time according to where you, personally are on their list of priorities. Maybe if they miss you, or not.

There are times when it's necessary to text such as if the one initiating a text is in a loud area or the info is time sensitive. Or if it has to be saved in a device for future use.

Personally, fewer people have my cell number than many people who have told me how many people have their number. In the list of contacts in my phone, there are 20. Half of them also have my number. Striving to let a cell phone be a complement to my life vs it being my life is how I choose to live. A desire to spend more time doing other things besides glued to my phone is important to me. People I have spent time with, traveled with, often are on their phone most of their waking hours. They were texting & talking, watching videos, face timing on Meta/Facebook, checking sports scores, cruising social media. Mostly, missing what was going on around them.


Sadly, a law had to be enacted in Honolulu, Hawai'i, against being on a cell phone while crossing a street. There were so many losses to both visitors and drivers that a law had to be enacted. The only exception to this law is if a person has an emergency, is calling 911 for help.
A prudent measure, a sad commentary.
The fine for a first-time offense is a ticketed $35. The second offense is a $75. fine, a third offense is a fine of $99. After that idk.




What would the world be like, in present day, if cell phones were less common than they are? 
Would people spend more in person time with each other?
Would in person social skills still be as strong as they used to be?
Could the world ever go back to how it was? (doubtful)
Would the number of deaths go up if help was less accessible?

For sure, map reading skills would possibly make a comeback. Voice navigation makes road trips so much easier though it can go wrong. Seldom, yet, it does happen.

Before I began using voice nav, I relied on paper maps. As a backup, I hand wrote in glow in the dark ink, in large writing, turn by turn directions. That only got me so far. 
Even now, when I'm taking a long road trip such as Texas - Michigan or Ohio or Oklahoma or Kansas or New York, I still have back up directions. Service can go down, directions can be wrong, phones can be stolen/lost/damaged.
Being prepared is a prudent measure. 
Maybe the motto, "Be prepared" is more accurate than ever before.

Here is a thought, if your last interaction with a loved one was a 1-hour text session, would you wish you had voice talked, instead?
Something to ponder.

Although I admit, I talk. I talk a lot. Working to curb it lately has benefitted me, maybe others around me. 

Now, I have this adorable 3-month-old puppy whom I talk to a lot. 




More than just training & commands. My boy was nearly 100% house trained or outside trained (take your pick) when I got him.
Sit, stay, up, down, no-no, good boy, wait, I love you so much, who is my good boy, such a good boy, OMG just poop or pee, Out? okay, here's dinner/breakfast/snack.
That was overkill, it sums it up.
When I got 2 weeks off from work to get to know my puppy, he is all the company I need. It was a short amount of time for me to love him.
Of course, he doesn't talk, not in human terms, anyway. He is an AKC Doberman. The breed is known for being very expressive, communicative, affectionate, loyal, very intelligent.
Maybe he will learn to talk. 😊 
He's only 3 months of age.😇



My guy, PJ.
Short for Poseiden Jack. Poseiden is too long. Jack is too common as a name.
He's PJ, such a great puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...