Friday, May 28, 2021

Aloha! E komo mai!




Today, I found that I have over 100 viewers in Hawai'i! 

This thrills me, as it's one of my favorite places in the world. It's probably a favorite for so many people as a vacation spot as well as a deep desire to live there.

For me, it's more than that. So much more.

Hawai'i was a place I daydreamed about as a child, living in a small town in Michigan. Life was hard for me. When my situation was so bad after a beating from my father or not having enough to eat or being bullied & teased at school. Retreating, in my mind, to Hawai'i.

Click yo slippahs togeddah tree times. I was there!

Relatives plus family got a thrill from taunting me, playfully teasing me. Telling me to keep dreaming ~ so I did! In my heart I was determined to find a way. When the opportunity came to me I would be ready, so much determination to fulfill a dream.

The ticket to move to Hawai'i came to me via the United States Air Force ~ Hallelujah! 
I had done it!

It truly was a paradise for me, the home of my soul. Aside from the causes of PTSD/MST, I loved it, there. The local people were mostly very sweet. Nicer than people I had known, up to that point in my life, anyway.
It was so easy to leave behind my prior life. The dumpy little girl who was bullied and teased K - 12, referred to as "Vampire" in reference to my light green eyes that turned yellow in the sun. Leave behind a home filled with cigarette smoke 24/7. Leave behind the bitterly cold winters of Michigan. Leave behind, start anew.
It was also good fun to rub my relatives noses in the fact that even after all of their teasing, I had done it!

There was magic in the ocean water, I was sure of it. Hanauma Bay was postcard pretty. The beautiful, brightly colored fish that swam around the coral, nibbling on my skin. It was so surreal.
From a few chance meetings while sunning myself at Hickam Harbor, I met some of the local people who had access to Hickam AFB. After going to a couple of their family luaus, I met more of the people who called the islands home. 
A few of them talked to me about learning to surf. I was so naive! They wanted me to bring the beer & KFC! Ha ha!
I learned to surf on some of the roughest waves on the North Shore of O'a'hu! Banzai pipeline, baby! Sunset Beach, Mokapu!
I had my hot pink bikini top blown off once, okay, a few times! Even lost the bottoms, quite a few times! There was more to learning to surf than knowing when to lay, when to crouch, paddle or stand.

The way the local people spoke ~ Pidgin English ~ it was beautiful to me. It sounded like water flowing, sometimes crashing, all good!
An opportunity I took when I was invited to go to Ni'ihau, was the chance of a lifetime. I was unaware of what a rare gift this was. I might go back, someday.

The island foods, music, flowers, weather, kind people, I loved it!

I spent some exciting times as a single girl, in Hawai'i. When that time was up as I got military orders to relocate to Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert, California. I went through some major depression, culture shock. From paradise to a desert. Oh, joy!

I married, then, as a married woman, I moved back to Hawai'i. My first 2 precious babies were born at Kapiolani Women's & Children's Medical Center. It was mostly a very happy time. Ya have to have some rain along with the sunshine for the flowers to grow!

When the time came to leave the islands again, due to military orders, it was just as hard to leave. A Honolulu City Lights feeling.
From time to time I still go back, as the song says. Each time Honolulu City Lights will bring me back again.


I love the whole malasada, in da islands. Later, I took my children to hula class to dance in a halau to keep them connected to the culture. My 2 eldest daughters have hula in their hearts. They danced so beautifully, even teaching others. I loved making some of their dance costumes. The kumu hula (teacher) taught the movements of another beautiful song to me that speaks volumes to me. 
One on one, just for me.

Na Leo ~ I miss you, My Hawai'i



Na Leo - Hana ho!
This one makes me cry bittersweet as I remember the days each of my 4 sweet babies were born. Moments etched on my heart forever.


The love for the music is still with me. I listen to Ke'ali'i Reichel, Na Leo. Also some of the older music from Braddah Noland, Kalapana, The Beamers, etc.

Love this Brother Noland tune the best. It holds sweet memories for me.


Brother Noland, the inspiration for the name of my only son, Nolan.

If you are living in Hawai'i or born & raised there, or born & raised there now living somewhere else, or have the same love in your heart for it, we are Ohana!

Thank you for taking time to read my blog. I am truly humbled by the many views, comments & private messages I receive.

To the ohana I have yet to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ & Me

Animals are such wonders; most are truly gifts from God.  I mean that.   Loving animals as I do, being able to communicate with them during ...